Washing machine problem...help would be appreciated!

My 12 year old Maytag (Model LAT8034AAE) just stopped working. It filled with water and then stopped. The timer does not advance but the light comes on. I replaced the timer less than a year ago (different symptom then).

So, it is full of water, and no matter what I do it will not turn on although the light does stay on even when the lid is in the upright position.

Any idea what it might be?

Could it be that the switch died in mid-action? Again, it did know to fill with water before it stopped.

Thanks!

Reply to
darrin_p_s

If it stopped filling the level switch is probably OK. I'd still be looking at the timer.

NSM

Thanks for the reply.

When I said switch I was thinking lid switch, not the level switch as someone on another forum reported a similar problem to mine that ended up being the lid switch.

I just took the thing apart, and the fuse is OK, but the lid switch could be bad I THINK!

Reply to
darrin_p_s

Could be. Something is stopping the timer from proceeding on.

NSM

One day NSM got dressed and committed to text

Hmmm, a lot of washers dont use the lid interlock during the 'fill' cycle only during 'spin'. I second the timer.

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Heating element o/c?

Ron

--

www.lunevalleyaudio.com
Reply to

I did a little digging, and it seems that a Maytag will fill up with a bad lid switch and not operate once filled. This SEEMED to support the lid switch issue.

I guess it could be the timer, but at less than a year old surely it wouldn't have broken down already would it?

Before, when I replaced the timer, I could get some action out of it from time to time as it kind of died gradually. This problem happened in an instant...not like a wearing down of something, but rather a break.

Of course, maybe it is just me not wanting to fork over another $100 for a timer (robbery I know, but that is the price) when the entire switch mechanism is around $25 (still robbery, but not as hard on my wallet).

Reply to
darrin_p_s

To test the lid switch, I would think you could jump across it to see what happened then.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Mine won't wash if the lid is up ...

NSM

In the old days when I had more time I was known to crack those open and repair the insides!

NSM

I had 2 Maytags do exactly this twice. The first time some stepped on the top of the lid and deformed it slightly so that the plunger wouldn't activate the lid switch. As above these will fill with the lid switch open. Activating the lid switch with a piece of rod started the agitation. Repaired the deformed lid. The second one the switch just went bad. (Micro type as I remember). Jumpered the leads and the washer worked until I installed a replacement.

Reply to
spudnuty

Reply to
Mike Berger

I've fixed my Sears washing machine many times and I think bad timers are just one of many possibilities, and not the most common. I just had the exact same problem you describe and it was the belt that chose to break right at that moment when the machine was filled with water. To do any investigation you really need to drain the water out so you can turn the machine around or on it's side and look at the mechanisn. It's easy to spot a broken belt because the motor be spinning but nothing else will turn. I'm not familiar with the Maytag, but one easy way to drain the washer is to pull the hose off of the water pump and just let the water flow. If you can't do that because your machine is inside the house, try pumping the water out with a small garden pump.

For my Sears washer I have a really good repair manual put out by Sears. Perhaps Maytag has something similiar.

John

Reply to
jbclem

Forgot to mention that there are some great websites, usually hosted by companies that sell repair parts, where you can get troubleshooting information, schematics, and ask questions that will usually be answered by professional repairmen. Here are some:

John

Reply to
jbclem