Funai VCR

Hello,

I read your interested website about vcr repair and i understand that there is some problem with idler stuff but i can't recognize where !!! I explain you : my vcr problem is when i start play both of "takeup" and "supply" things (i don't know the right word in english) rotate for some second and then stops. The pinch roller continue to rotate and it cause a tape goes everywhere. After that vcr stops to play (of course). I check something on the newsgroup but i did not help.

Thank you so much if you can explain me better what i can do :) Paolo

Reply to
Paolo

how old is the vcr? the newer Funais (made after about 1999) are really 'throwaway' items, designed not to be repaired. IF this is the case, I would not waste much time on it. Often, disassembly is extremely time consuming, you have to desolder the cables from the A/c head and drum. They're so cheap that they didn't even put connectors in!

sounds like the spool clutch is sticking. You might be able to order that part. Also clean the mode switch with contact spray like servisol (not wd40!!)

-B

Thanks for replying me :) Maybe i can't explain well in english language because my mother language is italian but i understand what you said.

it's a 4 head vcr but i did not remeber when i bought it. Could it be useful for you if i tell you the exact model ?

I opened it before post a message here. I don't think that is the spool clutch sticky because it works for a few seconds by the idler mechanism and then it stops to rotate and the spool clutch also. But if i try to rotate manually it rotate i don't feel it is sticky. I try also to use a fake tape but with the same way. Anyway, i try to explain what i did. I move manually the mechanism to get the cassette in the "play mode" position and i noticed that the idler mechanism does the right movement until the take-up spool clutch move for a while, after that, with an undefinited reason, the spool clutch stops because the idler mechanism move a little back from the spool clutch. And i don't know why it does that.

Hope that i write more things so you can help me better and sorry for my "not technical" english. Paolo

Reply to
Paolo

il rullo di pizzico dovrebbe arrestarsi immediatamente quando gli arresti dell'alberino di prendere per impedire la distruzione del nastro. Se questo doesn' la t accade io indovinerebbe che sia un problema con il micro regolatore/interruttore di modo.

Non molto che possiate fare per riparare questi tranne per determinare come l'alberino di prendere ? determinato. Se dallo stesso motore come riavvolgono per mezzo della gomma pi? al minimo ed o dalle cinghie quelli possono essere sostituiti. Se l'azionamento diretto allora potesse essere sotto controllo del micro e non riparabile.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On 4/6/2009 10:15 AM Paolo spake thus:

Don't worry; your English is a *lot* better than my Italian!

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ok guys thank you to everybody reply me (thanks meat plow but google translation helps very bad expecially with technical english :)

I noticed yesterday that a tip of one round mechanism of idler was bent on another tip soooooooo that was the problem about the take up spool clutch !!!! :) After i fix it the vcr works !!!

I cleaned with a chamois cloth the video head, audio head and clean head. I started to view a few cassette. I see that sometimes and not in a specific part of the tape the output on the tv is "snowy" (hope that is the right word). I tried different kind of tape (original and copied) but I must be honest, those tapes are old. Anyway, i did not see anything bad on the screen after a couple of minutes of the same tape. Do i clean more the video head ?

Thank you again to the angels can reply me :) Paolo

Reply to
Paolo

If the head is dirty the picture will be affected all the time. Make sure the tape tension is correct all the time as this will cause snow. You need a special tool to measure/monitor these. One looks like a vhs tape and measures supply reel torque to translate into tension among other things.

If you work frequent on vhs tape you need this tool and spindle height gauge. Also good to have is a dial torque gauge.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Many many thanks to everybody :)

"Meat Plow" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net...

Reply to
Paolo

Many many thanks to everybody :)

"Meat Plow" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net...

Reply to
Paolo

check if the problem happens on a new tape. Look on the drum for any black tape dust residue. that will be an indication. also, if you get persistent tracking interference, clean the A/C head and check its connector is correctly seated - maybe you moved it slightly when you were in there?

head. I

specific

be

video

Sadly there is no good way to clean tape and we wind up cleaning it off on the heads. The snow is usually oxide debris that effectively shorts the head gap. This might come and go a few times as the debris winds up back on the tape. I had a VCR that ran well for 20 years by cleaning the heads and transport every 6 months or snow, whichever comes first. Other problems are crease damage to the tape that you can usually hear as it passes across the head drum, and tape stretch that cause tracking problems and just wear that results in a loss of frequency response.

Reply to
JB