VCR Won't Play Tip

Hi,

I repaired many VCRs when I was involved in consumer electronics repair service.

Once in a great while, I serviced a VCR that wasn't used for some time, and when the owner tried to play a tape, the VCR would not "play" or the VCR turned itself off. Recently this happened to my own old RCA VCR model VR500. Note: I have not used this VCR (I have others) for about a year.

I removed the top cover and looked at the video heads cylinder assembly. When I pushed the "Play" button, it did not spin as the tape was "threading". This VCR turned itself off after the tape was "withdrawn".

I put my finger on the top edge of the cylinder and noticed it was "stuck". I moved the cylinder and now it moved "freely". Afterwards, I had no trouble playing (or recording) a tape.

If you have a VCR that hasn't been used for some time, with this same symptom, do what I just did. Note: There are other possible causes for this "won't play" problem.

John

Reply to
jaugustine

time,

model

was

this

The clearance fit of the bearing is as close to having no clearance as you can get. Probably like engineering guage blocks, you do not store them touching together, or they will "cold weld" together at an atomic level

Reply to
N_Cook