British propensity for dimunitive nicknames (tranny, addy, proggy, etc.)

A curious one that. I only tried using it once having discovered its meaning and it caused confusion (here in the UK at least).

LOL ! Give them time.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Huh? I thought you both had transposed 'check' and 'bill' as a typo; never have I encountered this usage in the U.S. This sounds a bit like negative energy; if we in the U.S. could pay our debts with 'bills' we'd all be richer than Croesus. Except for the spelling (check vs. cheque) we're stuck tendering that bank draft to pay our 'bills'.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

controlling

Nothing wrong with CRV. It's a valve like most any other.

Reply to
Meat Plow

That's a cool story, me duck.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Correct.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

So were we actually better off in the days before cats on car exhausts, when we just poisoned the air with CO and assorted hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen ? And if jet engines burn more or less the same stuff that car engines do, and don't have cats on them, how come they now seem to put out so much CO2 that the global warming brigade see it as a big issue ? d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

They don't usually need any time!

Reply to
Ron(UK)

The title of this thread does appear somewhat narrow. Imho the Brits do love nicknames, wether diminuitive or not. Think of the Krauts, and the Frogs, for example. Sometimes they even apply their nicknames, thus, when a person from India was given his default password 'Wog'.

Regards, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz

Oh now that`s unfair, we didn't just single out the Indians with that epithet, almost anyone born to the right and down a bit was fair game. Actually I sort of think 'Frog' is almost a term of endearment, there`s a lot worst things we could call them ;)

I understand that 'wog' short form of 'Polywog' was originally a nautical term for deckhands of a dusky skinned nature.

I think the Aussies currently corner the market in derogatory nicknames for people of other nations, tho who knows what the 'natives' call us.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Surprised Michael Black didn't chime in with his usual off topic nanny-isms.

Reply to
Meat Plow

"Ron(UK)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Is basically a promise from a vendor to sell you an item that is out of stock during a sale, at sale price at a date after a sale, when stock is available.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Meat Plow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

Yep, a CRT just controls current to a plate, but a plate on the other end of the glass.

Reply to
Gary Tait

"check."

Brits

and

'Wog'.

game.

there`s

nicknames

us.

Talking about derogatory or slang names used by Australians prompted me to check out the dictionary of terms used by WWI military personel. Outside of Australia you won't have heard of most of these.

Ross Herbert