phones that ring british?

I have been seaching for a phone (regular phone, not cell) that would ring British style, without any luck so far. Anyone happens to own or know such phones? If so, what brands and models? Thanks.

Reply to
bamboo

I got one, two-tone green. Make me an offer.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

Define "british style"

the ring pattern (the duration and timing of the tones) comes from the CO (telephone exchange) not the phone.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

It does, but with a ring detector and ring generator in the phone, that's not an impediment.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

I understand that, but phones with artificial ringers can sound anything they are designed to, I've come across cordless phones that ring UK style, why not regular phones?

I've been thinking about buying a ring generator, but I think it's a bit overkill...

Reply to
bamboo

snipped-for-privacy@carmensexychick.us wrote this in :

Because cordless phones have to generate the signal themself. A normal phone can just use the 90V signal coming down the line to drive the amplifier. The cordless can't. It'd simply be an extra cost in the phone.

Hmm, why not just use a 555, which generates a suitable wavelength for the phone to ring, let that be triggered by the incoming 90V signal, and then just amplify the output from the 555 to 90V signal? Or use a µC? Should not be too difficult, albeit a amplifier capable of 90V output needs some thoughts in choosing components. Not too diffcult anyway, since you'd have no/small S/N problems with the ring signal.

Yep, defintively something I'll think about. This was just a random mess of my thoughts on this...

Besides. We tend to like people who know how to quote properly

or
Read, and understand:)

--
MVH,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net
Reply to
Vidar Løkken

I guess a phone that rings on the wrong site of the road :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

The term is "ring cadence" and it is indeed CO generated.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Others may have pointed this out already. If you're referring to the specific cadence of the ring signal, that's not a function in the phone (unless it has some fancy microcontroller-driven ringer). It's a function of the ring signal originating from the Bell central office.

I suppose you could, given the wide availability of PIC and other microcontrollers, create something to detect the normal ringing voltage and put out a UK-style cadence in response. Be a lot of work for very little gain, though.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to