Original Nintendo

Hi, I have alongside me an original Nintendo system that has a problem. It hasn't been used in several years and when fired up today just sits there with the power LED blinking and the video output flashing in time with the LED. I have checked the 7805 and it's producing 5.05 V. Now before I dig deeper into this thing does anyone have any pointers as where to start looking.

I know these are cheap and easy to come by but there are sentimental reasons for fixing this particular unit.

Needless to say any/all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Dooks

Go to google.come and search using nintendo repair as key words.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Clean the cartridge connector.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Both cartridge connector and slot, i had trouble with that even when that type of console was 6 months old.

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger

Replace the cartridge connector, this is a *very* common problem, I've been through at least 3 connectors in the decades since I got my NES.

Reply to
James Sweet

Replace the 72-pin connector. Easy, and a sure-fire cure for the blinking light problem. Available on eBay. Look for a kit that includes a cleaner and a tool for dismantling the game carts, otherwise all the crap on the game connectors will transfer to the new part.

Reply to
gonzo

Ok, some more info. The PCB is out of the case, the cartridge connector is unplugged from the board, the 2200u/25V cap has been replaced along with the 2 smaller electrolytics in the PS. All the 'dry' plate-thrus have been soldered and the gum label on the board by the cart. connector has been removed, (I have had problems with the glue becoming conductive over time in the past) .

All of the conductors on the cart. connector have 0 ohms end to end and a resistance between adjacent conductors of > 30 meg.

Still have the blinking display/power LED.

Am I missing something REALLY obvious (Can't see the forrest 'cuse of all these darn trees !) or am I just a bit dim .

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Dooks

Just replace the connector, trust us, you can't test it like that, the problem is poor contact between it and the game cartridge. I've never once seen this problem that wasn't caused by a bad connector.

Reply to
James Sweet

If it was working and then put into storage, the connector didn't go bad sitting around. It still could be dirty contacts inside.

Also clean the contacts on the game cartridges.

Or, as suggested, just replace it.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Mmm, Ok, I will replace the cart. connector but it (the cart. connector) is NOT ATTACHED TO THE PCB and I still get the flashing video output/power LED.

Sorry if I seem to be a bit slow.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Dooks

The flashing just means it cant boot the game. So, if almost any of the pins isn't making good contact, you get the flashing. With the connector removed, well, duh. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Ok, sorry for being dim, I thought you would just get a blank raster with no cartridge installed. Today I learned something new.

Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Dooks

That's expected behavior, the LED will flash whenever it cannot boot.

Reply to
James Sweet