a question for our British colleagues

What is Turkish Delight, and why is it always poisoned?

John

If you were in Washington tonight at 10:30pm you could find out...

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

Because all this is getting to be too much, and if she'll only eat the poisoned one, he can get some time off and live *his* dream

Best Regards

Jens

--
    Key ID 0x09723C12, jensting@tingleff.org
        Analogue filtering / 5GHz RLAN / Mdk Linux / odds and ends

I love turkish delight, never had a poisoned one though.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

In the recipes I've seen, it's a flavoured cornflour gell, cut into cubes and rolled in icing sugar or the like. It's yummy, but I haven't tried a poisoned one either.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

A soft sweet confection, almost jelly like, lightly flavoured with rose water supposedly and covered in icing sugar to sto it being sticky. The popular Fry's Turkish Delight is coated in chocolate.

I thought it was chalices that were typically poisoned actually.

Why do you ask ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Well, I read a lot of English literature, and the stuff is always poisoned, except in one childrens' book, where it's merely drugged. I guess if people aren't allowed to have guns, they have to resort to Turkish Delight. After learning what's in it, I think I'd rather be shot.

John

You'd probably really hate these things:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Fry's

Yikes! Is it too late to repeal NAFTA?

John

Fry's

Try haggis

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Fry's

From the description, it probably smells real good, but it kind of looks like The Maggot That Devoured Cleveland.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, Yes and it tastes good too!

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Just don't ask how it's made.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

It's really best not to think of that too much ! I eat it myself once or twice a year.

Black pudding's not much better really either and they go together well.

On a visit to Neve's Scottish manufacturing plant at Kelso in the 'Borders' they served haggis and neaps in the canteen one day. Chips seemed to be obligatory with it too ! I had a portion of course. As one with Scottish roots it would have been unthinkable not to and it helps bond one with the locals too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Fry's

It's quite pleasant actually.

You must have a curious choice in English 'literature' btw ! Never come across it in a book myself.

The only childrens' books I have any more are the Pooh Bear ones naturally.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Fry's

The same as our version it seems.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

haggis or Cleveland ???

Cleveland has not a river fire in years !!

Reply to
Donald

Fry's

it in

Lord Peter and Miss Marple both encountered poisoned Turkish Delight. In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, it was enchanted and addictive.

John

water

Fry's

it in

Why is it all I can think of is "Bonomo's Turkish Taffy"?

;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Perhaps you should ask why yours are always poisoned.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ I want to die quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming in terror, like his passengers.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.