British Line and Netural Conventions?

I live in the US and am re-wiring a 30 year old Logitek lapping machine which was built in England. If I plug it in to a receptacle in the US, as it is presently wired, then the limit switches carry 0V and the neutral is fused. I don't think this is correct because a short to chassis in the limit switch circuit will defeat the limit switch function. Are English wall receptacles reversed with respect to US receptacles?

Thanks -Ira

Reply to
Ira Rubinson

English wall receptacles are completely different from US ones. Someone must have fitted a US plug on the machine (wrongly) before you got it. Call in an qualified electrician. Check the voltage settings as well and also see if the change in frequency from 50Hz to 60Hz could give you a problem (motors, etc.)

Graham H

Reply to
Graham Holloway

In N America, the outlets are wired backwards; and black is 'hot'.

In Europe and many other countries, the left hand pin of a power outlet is hot. Also black (or blue) is always 'cold' (neutral) and red, brown or another color is hot.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Thanks Homer. Your explanation makes sense. The unit works but I thought it was peculiar that neutral is fused and that the limit switch circuit conducts neutral. When connected to a US 120VAC wall receptacle, a blue wire on the machine connects to the right pin (hot) on the receptacle and a brown wire on the machine connects to the left pin (neutral) on the receptacle.

-Ira

as

Reply to
Ira Rubinson

This machine also has an AC gear motor with 2 white wires and a bluish-grey curly wire. One of the white wires is disconnected but the motor turns. Do you know the significance of the curly wire?

Thanks -Ira

as

Reply to
Ira Rubinson

That's the new color code for Europe but Brown is hot and Blue is cold. You need to switch them.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Is there a capacitor? The other white wire may be for a different voltage or for reverse. I'd assume white is hot.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

(1) Europe is not a country (2) In Great Britain, a country in Europe, the live pin is the bottom right hand one (of three) in the outlet.

Reply to
contrex

You should be asking these questions on news:rec.crafts.metalworking

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

At least in Germany, black is hot (death = black), blue is neutral ("cold"). PE is yellow/green.

Red is *very* old and no longer used. And I don't remember how it was.

With 3 phases, brown is hot too (1 brown, 2 black, 1 blue + PE).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Did I say it was? The United States is a collection of states.

It's just upside down from normal.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Everyone else's is upside down :)

--
Gibbo

This email address isn't real.
Reply to
Gibbo

Left/right? In San Francisco, sockets in commercial buildings are wired with the ground pin up, and for residential it's down.

John

contrex

Go pick nits - off your dick.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Ah, more of the famous Canadian civility.

John

The NEC doesn't specify whether it should be up or down. That is left to local codes, I think.

Chuck

Chuck

I've seen them both ways in commercial buildings, though ours were always pin up. Except for some DIY installations, all the residential outlets I've seen are pin down.

--
  Keith
Reply to

His whining is annoying.