best TV Monitor? 2nd attempt

maybe the google 'window' is broken again, but didn't see my first posting

what is the best ( less than $1,000) TV HD Monitor?

want value, great color, and low maintenance, which monitor meets this criteria?

Reply to
Robert Macy

PlainBill

It made it through. I suggest you get a real newsreader, since Google leaves a lot to be desired.

Short answer: Go to a 'Big Box' store, decide which Panasonic plasma meets your perception of 'great color', and buy it. Saving money on the purchase and losing it when service is unavailable is foolish.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

No offense, but who knows? I don't.

I would look at the major name brands (including Vizio).

I would note Consumer Reports' statistical research that shows major-brand flat-screen TVs are highly reliable, and there isn't much difference among them.

I would note that the best value isn't always the least-expensive set. However, the 32" Vizio I purchased for my den several years ago cost $380, has a 178-degree viewing angle, excellent color/detail/sharpness, and hasn't given me a moment's trouble. (My living-room set is a KURO.)

I would take familiar program material to the store, set the TVs for their "pure" (unprocessed) mode, and decide which you like best. And don't forget that, once you have received such a demo, you are morally obliged to purchase from the store that gave it to you.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I guess spending 1000 dollars I would be inclined to want something like samsung or Sony, but I am really enjoying the 40 inch picture on my coby.

Unprocessed setting? Normal? That really sucks on my tv's. I use custom.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

If you're comparing sets, you have to have some consistency. Picking the "pure" (or whatever) setting is a good starting point.

My KURO is set to pure for everything, except the saturation is advanced a bit, and sharpness is jacked all the way up.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

What size? My first choice would be Samsung. They make the display panels for many other brands.

Also depends on what other functions you want. Built in Netflix or other streaming TCP capabilities. You don't give enough specifics.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

And you didn't see the 3 replies?

Time to ditch google groups.

Evan Platt

Thank you for the suggestion of 'Big Box' although a Chinese outlet, they have incredibly well priced electronics widgets there. Stumbled over another item we need - night vision security cameras. like for less than $100 with a wireless link to the monitors.

Reply to
Robert Macy

,

n't

et

I totally forgot aobut Consumer Reports. I had dismissed them outright for letting me down years ago on our VCR purchase.

I paid for the magazine covering VCR players, went through their article to find NOTHING! Their comment was that VCR players were all about the same, so they concentrated on the 'features' ?! And I was NOT interested in features. All I wanted to know was which manufacturer had the highest reliability and the lowest jitter! Some of that tearing was more than 1-2% of the line! That 'tearing' on the side was driving me nuts. Finally went to Good Guys, looked at every unit until found one with the least jitter. and bought it. Yes, it was dependent on the unit within the manufacturer. The unit I bought had around 0.5% jitter which I could live with. and barely noticeable while watching a good action film.

Reply to
Robert Macy

ss.

This has happened before. google probably was changing their software to solve that major hacking problem. Since the symptoms were the same, I just waited a bit and all the responses appeared. But, why does it only happen when I'm counting on answers? ;)

Reply to
Robert Macy