Ping Jim Yanik re: Tek 365

Hey, Jim.

Long story short my 465 quit a while back. No trace at all, even with the beam finder. I got tired of looking at it sitting there, and decided to poke around and see if I got lucky. Well, I found a missing -8v line which, when jumpered in, seems to restore normal function. That line draws about 600mA. Cannot readily access the bridge rectifier CR1569 to remove and test out of circuit - I suspect it is (partially) open.

Is this a common problem? Seem like I'm on the right track?

Thanks!

Mark Z.

--
"I can't die until the government finds a safe place to bury my liver."
Reply to

Dang. that should of course read Tek 465 in the subject line!!!

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in news:4e34439c$0$21905$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

I had to replace many bridge rectifiers in the power supplies.

152-0488-00,IIRC,and 152-0462-00;the bigger bridges.

my shortcut; flex the old bridge back and forth til the leads broke,then use a soldersucker to remove the leads remaining in the holes. then stand the new bridge off the board about 1/4 to 3/8" so you can solder the leads without having to remove the MB. watch polarity! I'd often bend the bridge leads 90deg then trim to length and solder into the PCB,for case clearance,particularly on the big bridges. another worry is filter caps leaking electrolyte and eating through PCB traces on the back side of the mainboard. I used to have to do a lot of big eyelet setting(for big filter caps) and track repairs; One boss preferred to not replace PCB's if avoidable;he'd rather a tech put in many hours filling in holes with epoxy,setting eyelets and track repairs.

One note;some filter caps in the PS used the can (the 3 or 4 negative pins) to connect parts of the circuit,IOW,you had to solder ALL the cap pads,or if substituting an axial leaded cap(many customers would sub in any old cap from their junkbox),bridge the can pads for continuity.

BTW,I figured you were talking about the 465,not a "365"(no such animal).

8-) No problemo!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks Jim. I figured you'd know what was up with these. That bridge is nestled down pretty flush with the board; I might opt to just get the board lifted up some for access, especially in view of the possibility of corroded trace(s).

Thanks again!

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

When the 465 failed for the second time I felt somewhat betrayed.

I developed this "theory" that Tek's were a lot like Harley Davidson motorcycles...

If you love them, if you can fix them, and don't mind the oil stains on your living room floor, go for it!

Otherwise get a B&K or something that just works. :-)

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias