TV broken?

Hi!

When I switched my CRT TV on, it made a cracking sound (not very loud, like someone dropped a full PET bottle on the floor in the next room) and since then, a constant beep-like sound goes off ca. every half second while there is no other sign of activity of the TV (no picture, no sound, no CRT buzzing...).

What could be the reason for this behaviour?

Thanks!

Reply to
John Bolten

Two guesses (I want to see how my judgement compares with the more-experienced people here)...

The CRT physically cracked. (Probably not.)

"Something" shorted out (you heard the arcing) and the high current drain is keeping the power supply from fully turning on. (More likely.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Shorted HOT would be my guess. The "beeping" you hear is probably the power supply cycling and shutting down.

Reply to
JW

Cowboy Maloney's Electric City stores.Go buy a new tv set.That's what I did. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

For starters, it would help to have a make and model number for the tv. Some sets have certain histories of failures and that information would be a good starting point.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann