Google evilness again

Just this minute, Google Groups has started requiring a login just to _read_ Usenet. Going through my browser history, I can bring up a listing page, e.g.

but as of just now, when I click on any of the posts, it brings me to the login screen.

Same with you folks?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Just now and once. Try going to the Google search window then typing in the group name exactly as it is.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Does it work if you try to read any posts, though?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Does it work if you try to read any posts, though?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes. I forgot to mention to click on the group name when it pops up in the search. I saw a bunch of old posts then clicked on the group name in the top left. I had to type it in twice on another attempt but then it came up just as it should. I can read your posts and my responses through Google groups without any problem.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Does it work if you try to read any posts, though?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I experienced same thing today. I look at this site at work but not logged in. Would not let me look today. I found other paths to see the posts here from work

Reply to
blocher

Google is evil.....unfortunately everybody else sucks at everything google does so finding an alternative is hard. Is Bing done by anyone who actually cares. I wish I could have a crack at competing with Google.

Reply to
blocher

On 8/15/20 3:42 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote: I copied this from Google groups. I messed up and lost your last post so things might look a little goofy. > On 2020-08-15 16:36, Dean Hoffman wrote: >> On 8/15/20 3:21 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote: >>> Just this minute, Google Groups has started requiring a login just to >>> _read_ Usenet. Going through my browser history, I can bring up a >>> listing page, e.g. >>> >>> >>> >>> but as of just now, when I click on any of the posts, it brings me to >>> the login screen. >>> >>> Same with you folks? >>> >>> Cheers >>> >>> Phil Hobbs >> >> Just now and once. Try going to the Google search window then >> typing in the group name exactly as it is. > > Does it work if you try to read any posts, though? > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs >

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The last one from Google is this:

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com

4:10 PM (6 m- show quoted text - Google is evil.....unfortunately everybody else sucks at everything google does so finding an alternative is hard. Is Bing done by anyone who actually cares. I wish I could have a crack at competing with Google.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

he Google search window then

After I logged out of Google and then searched for google groups and a group I use, that showed up in the response - duckduckgo - but when I clicked on it Google didn't like that I wasn't logged in and took me to the Google login window.

They are trying to sell more crap to us I guess.

I wonder if duckduck would open a usenet section...

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

Am 15.08.20 um 22:21 schrieb Phil Hobbs:

I get no login requests, they recognize me anyway.

<
> The line at the top says that a new Ggl groups with modern design and new controls will replace the classical ggl groups soon. It is possible to test the new version by clicking the blue field to the right.

Then it looks this way: <

Going back to the old version requires the use of the gear wheel.

On a different computer where google does not know me I do have the option to log in, but it is not required.

Cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

I tried again out of idle curiosity. I cleared cookies and history then searched Google for sci.electronics.design Clicking on this took me to the site without any problems.

groups.google.com ? forum ? embed

All of the posts show up like they should. Gerhard's post says he tried a second computer and he could sign in but didn't need to. I'm using Safari on my Macbook Air. DuckDuckgo for searches.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm not sure. I'm a google groups regular and they've been threatening to switch to the 'new Groups' for ~1 month now. I think google logged me on to the 'new Groups' once... but I just selected the old... but not too long before that goes away I'm afraid. Progress, we must march onward. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

duck duck go is OK for search. (I'm often amused at the result differences between DDG and goolge.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Google serves up results it thinks you will find relevant, based on your past history of search/clicks. DDG strips that info before it reaches google, so the results can't be tailored.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Google's browser (Chrome) now hides the full URL in the address bar

Tom Gardner

try this URL:

They seem to be strongly encouraging a login, but not actually requiring one yet.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

But they already know who you are--that's what the nonsense string at the end is for.

My main issue with it is not Usenet. Browsing when you're signed into Google, or even afterwards if you haven't cleared all your cookies and cached data and changed your browser signature lets their analytics track you over the whole web.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Startpage and IxQuick do that, which is useful all by itself. DuckDuckGo seems to be pretty well independent of Google, aggregating stuff from a whole lot of other sources as well as running its own crawler.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs