Analog VHS to DVD question

I just purchased a Panasonic PV-GS500 video camera (miniDV; 3 CCDs; 16:9) and _assumed_ it would also allow me to do analog transfer of my VHS videos. I discovered today that it does not have the proper ports. (Panasonic apparently removed them after last year's models.) My old VCR is very basic and has no S-Video out port, just the Red/Yellow/White connections.

My computer is an iMac G5; the software part of this equation is not a problem.

I have a nice Sony home theater system that has all sorts of ports, including S-Video. I wonder if I could possibly route the video signal from the VCR through the home theater receiver and then into the camera via the S-Video port, then into the computer via the firewire port???

Thanks, Be

Reply to
BE

Hi!

the

It is unlikely that you would cause any damage or harm anything by trying this. However, you may notice that the video quality degrades noticeably because of the numerous connections and longer cable lengths.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

JR North

I can't help except to wish you Good Luck.

I was a Mac guy since the IICI, but got worn down by the Apple "think different" ways of things, when I wanted to start converting some old VHS tapes, etc. last year. When I looked at the Apple way using a Mac, I decided to buy a PC and do it all my way. The Mac software is good, but it doesn't allow for importing as a file, or from anything other than a digital camera.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Typically you cannot do what you are suggesting. Most home theater receivers are only switches, they do not have a built in comb filter to convert composite video to s-video then output to the s-video.

You will have much better results simply buying a dvd recorder or good video capture card for your PC and use the built in DVD writer.

Reply to
dkuhajda