VHS-to-DVD

"Spring" Cleaning...

Discovered ~30 VHS Family Tapes.

Recommendations for best conversion to DVD?

I presently no longer own any VHS equipment, though I have multiple DVD burners, even a Sony VRD-MC5 which takes NTSC in and writes to a DVD.

Any VHS Players still available?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Depending on what you feel your time is worth, it's probably easiest/cheapest to use one of the several online services that do it. Last time I looked it was like 7 or 8 bucks a tape.

Reply to
bitrex

B&H Photo has them for < $100. Walmart does as well, and they'll do conversions for $20/DVD up to two tapes per.

You could probably get a bit better deal from a small place for that number of tapes. Maybe ~$300 for the lot.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sheesh, doesn't seem like that long ago that I got the 8mm transferred to VHS! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

DVD? That is obsolete too IMHO! (network, mediaplayer..) Player died years ago, never replaced it.

Reply to
Blarp

Felt very antiquated while watching Graham Norton Show a few days ago; as he held up a guest's latest CD offering. GN looked at the CD case and mused," I wonder how many young kids out there are looking at this and asking, 'What's that?' I'll bet many have never even seen one of these." In this age of download, stick memories; he's right.

Reply to
Robert Macy

That reminds me, i have over 100 Gb of 8mm and super 8 already converted that need cleanup.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Amazon still sells a few combo units.

Check the descriptions as several of those are just DVD players. I have the Toshiba DVR670 and it's pretty good for my needs, but the VCR player is a cheap 2 head thing. Or at least, it performs like it only has two heads. It might be worth trying the Samsung unit to see if it's any better.

Keep in mind that if any of your VHS tapes are actually commercial recordings, the copy protection will defeat these units, unfortunately. Kind of irritating, when you own the tape and just want to switch formats.

Reply to
trag

I understand there are little electronic boxes to put in there that put the sync signal back, but don't know.

Reply to
Robert Macy

They are showing up at flea markets & thrift stores as NTSC dies off.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell