VHS to DVD, Special Situation..

Hi,

I have old home video recordings on VHS tape that were made using a B & W camera which wasn't exactly at the NTSC frequency. I never had trouble viewing these videos on older TVs from the 1980s (or older). I can not view these on newer TVs. The horizontal frequency is off on the screen.

If I buy a DVD recorder and record this video tape/s onto a DVD, will I have the same problem?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

dutch

A quality video capturing card that can handle multiple standards for input will be able to capture the video on your computer. Then it can be converted to proper NTSC standard to be burned on a DVD in the computer.

This will probably require an actual good video capture card and a pretty powerful computer system.

Reply to
dkuhajda

I think it will need to go through a frame synchronizer first.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Hi...

And for yet one more suggestion, I'd think that the vertical roll and the horizontal line "walking" through the picture are one and the same.

Makes me wonder if perhaps the tape path on the machine playing it isn't perhaps off - skewing the tape a little? Or perhaps the alignment is indeed azimuth correct, but just a hair up a little high or down a bit low?

Were it me and mine, I'd be sore tempted to try yet another known good machine. And if it's an important tape, I wouldn't play it again on this machine until I know for sure that it isn't damaging the tape edges.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Why? All the professional video capture cards I have worked with do not care what the incoming frequencies are, they are defined in software.

Reply to
dkuhajda

I have a pretty good capture card (ATI Rage 9600) and it's pretty sensitive to instability etc when doing video capture off a VHS tape. Problems such as flagging at the top when the tape is recorded on another machine, which would at least be watchable when viewing on a regular tv, make the digital captures unacceptable. A frame synchronizer would ( I think) strip the sync and re-insert with a stable, generated set of sync pulses. This fixes my type of problem, and I think the OP's problem as well.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I see, you have a consumer grade capture card. Not the commercial grade digital video equipment I have been dealing with the last couple of years.

David

Reply to
dkuhajda

So what cards are you using?

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

He is probably using some high end matrox card. I wouldn't call a rage 9600 a good quality capture card. It is acceptable for most apps but still its not a high quality one. There are capture cards that are much more powerful but they cost a lot more than your 9600.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I am still wondering what specific cards qualify as "good" or "high quality." This is not a market that I am very familiar with and would like to know more about what "professionals" are using.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

In the realm of the live video encoding for medical imaging and similar, I have worked with a $3,800 capture card made by Darim, similar to the MPEGator. Something that was customized by SUN on a flouroscope system, looked like it was similar to the StreamZ software. The whole workstation was $19,000. It would do a continuous video capture and would allow special editing of video. You could specify where the sync was suppose to be within the encoding AFTER it was captured if there was a problem with the source.

I would assume that with the correct software and quality capture card that it would be easy to have the problem video tape transferred.

Reply to
dkuhajda

As a point of interest, why would a flouroscope image require such specialized processing? It's captured by film or electronically on stable media initially. So, besides doing vectoral analysis, why does complex resyncing become a concern? Just wondering....

Dr. B.

Reply to
les

The flouroscope image does not need the specialized processing beyond the initial capturing for viewing on an in house DAS connected viewer. I have not seen much medical imaging that captured on film in years (except in maybe an animal hospital), it is all digital camera imaging. The processing is required on things like swallow studies with the live video imaging to the DAS server, then reprocessed to sync it to ntsc video tape for the doctor to show to the patient in his office. Or it could be converted to a different lower bandwidth digital media for sending to a remote location over the internet.

It is not a concern, but the professional digital video capturing equipment required to capture medical imaging video also has the capabilities to do a lot more. The same level of video processing and capturing will do all kinds of fancy stuff to the video. Just like the resyncing problem of the OP.

Reply to
dkuhajda