Clipping Level on DVD, MiniDV?

Does anyone know where the A to D converters in digital video stuff such as MiniDV, Digital8 and DVD run out of 1's and clip the signal? Does anything bad happen when it does, such as bearding or losing sync?

This could happen in average use with impedance mismatch, maladjusted camera clipping point, etc.

I have seen consumer VHS machines that put out about 1.25 volts of video, even when sync level is about normal. Presumably if digital machines are designed to accept this (so the public can convert their home tapies to DVD), then this would be about the limit. I'm just wondering how close to clipping level normal video would be. Also if I change the white clip point in a video camera can I get a bit more dynamic range out of it (for consumer/industrial not broadcast) without blowing anything up. Thanks.

Reply to
Clive Tobin