USB keyboard on embedded system

We're trying to get a USB keyboard working under X in our embedded system.

We are using a custom graphics chip, that provides support for a linux
framebuffer device (kernel version 2.4). On top of this we are then running
X, using the kdrive Xfbdev server.

We have plugged in a USB keyboard and mouse, and both are recognised by the
kernel. Reading from the appropriate /dev/input/eventX device shows that
both devices are working. We have successfully configured X to use the USB
mouse.

However, we are not having any success in getting the keyboard to work under
X. Our system console is on a serial port, and there is no 'standard'
console for the keyboard to 'hook' up to.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how we can get this to work? Do we need to
somehow 'divert' the USB keyboard to the console that X is using? If so, how
do we do this?

Many thanks.

Andy

Re: USB keyboard on embedded system

You need to configure the X server to use the HID event interface to
access the USB keyboard, instead of the kernel console keyboard
interface it traditionally uses (synthesized for USB, incidentally, by
the usbkbd module).

If there isn't an X driver for the keyboard event interface (and there
really ought to be, although my desktop XFree86 installation doesn't
seem to have one), then maybe you can get the usbkbd driver to work
usefully.

--
Grant Taylor
Embedded Linux Consultant

There doesn't appear to be any built-in support for the HID event interface
I'm afraid.

Can you give more details on what you mean by 'get the usbkbd driver to work
usefully'? I've been trying to work out exactly where the keypresses from
the USB keyboard are being sent, but my knowledge of the internals of the
kernel is still fairly limited at present.

Thanks.

Andy

Re: USB keyboard on embedded system

Ah, here it is, it's a Debian-developed patch, or perhaps it's
included in newer X.org/XFree releases.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/tweak_input_devs-xev1.html

--
Grant Taylor
Embedded Linux Consultant

The link at that URL goes to a place where there are no patches...

Anyone tell me where I can get them?

Thanks.

Andy

Re: USB keyboard on embedded system

How odd.  The readme there even describes them.

I assume that they've been rolled into the standard Debian XFree
package; as such they ought to be in the diff or even orig sources
found at http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/xserver-xfree86

--
Grant Taylor
Embedded Linux Consultant

Thanks for that. I downloaded the diff and there are indeed patches for
this. However, they're against the 'full' Xserver, rather than kdrive (that
we're using).

Any idea if similar support is available for kdrive?

Thanks.

Andy

Re: USB keyboard on embedded system

KDrive appears to simply be a minimally configured build of the usual
XFree86 sources, with fixed configuration and a lightweight core.  The
instructions I found suggest that you can select arbitrary drivers for
a kdrive server, although I'm sure a bit of fiddling will be needed
for drivers that no one has tried before.

See http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html

--
Grant Taylor
Embedded Linux Consultant

I don't know if this could help , however you could try to see if this can
suit you
see: USB keyboard driver for arm-linux
http://www.koansoftware.com/en/art.php?cat=4

Cheers