USB & Windows

Hello, we are using a home brewed USB kernel driver to communicate with our equipment. This system in working fine on Windows Vista32, but our customers are moving to Seven32. We build a few tens units per year and each unit has two different driver, so we are not so happy to pay 2*500$/years for certifications. Is it possible to install our custom drivers on the new OS freely?

Thanks, Giacomo

Reply to
-Giacomo-

No way that isn't a hack.

Ie. you can have your customer hit F8 each time they boot Windows7 and choose 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' off the boot menu.

There's a couple other ways that are easier, but still involves having your customer loadup software on their PC to get around the requirements. You can google 'load unsigned drivers in Windows7' though.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Ok. Thanks. I need a new design. There are some chip vendors ( FDTI, Cypress) that supply a kernel driver and a user mode DLL. This can solve my problem. I am still guessing how can I find my equipment enumerating the USB Devices. Can I change the device description in the INF file still having a valid certification?

Reply to
-Giacomo-

es.

Some FTDI chips have an internal EEPROM allowing you to customize some USB descriptors and strings. If you customize the right ones, you should be able to use the Win32 setupapi to find your devices while still using the standard FTDI driver.

Reply to
Dingo

"-Giacomo-" skrev i meddelelsen news:4b506b86$0$818$ snipped-for-privacy@reader5.news.tin.it...

You may want to consider changing your device, if that's possible. If the speed is not critical, you can expose a HID device with a vendor defined page. There are built-in driver's for that from Windows 98 SE on.

Leo Havmøller.

Reply to
Leo Havmøller

this is the real cost of developing - hence "home brewed USB" is not cheap.

Switch to a popular, supported USB stack (usually commerical), which will include all of the windows side drivers.

Reply to
bigbrownbeastie