How to redirect USB keyboard to console?

I have a Linux embedded system running Busybox and need to connect USB
keyboard to it. I have compiled the USB keyboard support in the kernel (USB
HID support and Input core support). When I connect the keyboard, I get the
following message:

hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 2
: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [046a:0001] on usb2:2.0

When I disconnect it, I get

usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:07.2-1 address 2

Therefore I conclude that the drivers are working properly and the only
thing I need is to redirect the keyboard to the console. Can anybody tell me
how? Is there any device corresponding to the USB keyboard, which could be
redirected? How could I create such device (maj. min. numbers etc.)? In my
embedded system with Busybox there are only devices which I create by
myself, it is not a distribution like RedHat or Mandrake...

I have found a solution of the similar problem for FreeBSD using the
kbdcontrol command, but this command is not available in my development
system (Mandrake). Is there any utility that could be installed on my
embedded system, which will solve my problem?

Thank you
Bob

Re: How to redirect USB keyboard to console?

IIRC the driver is called "usbkbdev"; it operates as an event sink
from hid and injects keystrokes into the console driver.  I'm not sure
if it works when you have a serial console, but it certainly does the
necessary glue job for PC hardware consoles.

Depending on what you are doing with the keyboard, it may be
preferable to use it from the hid event driver instead of as a
keyboard per se.  This makes it quite easy to monitor key up and down
events and everything else the keyboard is actually reporting.  That
would be with the module "evdev" as described in section 5 "event
interface" of .../Documentation/input/input.txt.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor /
 Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org /

Site Timeline