PPC 2.6 Kernel hangs after printing "Now booting the kernel"

Firstly, I am new to the world of building Linux Kernels.

I am trying to get a 2.6.10 Kernel that I downloaded from Kernel.org to run on my PPC hardware.

I managed to get the Kernel to compile and link, and got myself a zImage.elf file. As I really wanted a zImage.bin file, I used the following command line to produce a .bin file:

powerpc-linux-objcopy -I elf32-powerpc -O binary zImage.elf zImage.bin

When I run the Linux Kernel I get :

" Uncompressing Linux...done. Now booting the kernel "

And that, as they say is that, it just hangs there, I have no idea if its gone into an infinite loop, crashed or whatever.

I have grepped the code for the print "Now booting the kernel" which is output by the routine load_kernel() in \arch\ppc\boot\simple\misc-embedded.c

The code returns after this print. The routine load_kernel() is called from \arch\ppc\boot\simple\relocate.S

The last instructions that I see are:

li r9,0x4 mtlr r9 blr

Which suggests that the bootloader is expecting the KERNEL to be sitting at address 0x00000004 and it is being vectored to it.

Can anyone suggest where I should be checking my Kernel for configuration problems, or any good areas to add extra print commands (puts or printk). I am literally tearing my hair out with this one.

Reply to
Jas