newbie: Kernel panic: No init found

Hi all,

newbie needs help.

I try to get up a custom board (MPC857T; SDRAM 16MB; ttyS0:SMC1; eth0:SCC1). I have ported U-Boot-1.1.1 and the kernel (2.4.20...) but the kernel seems to fail mounting the RAM disk as rootfs. Has anyone an idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance Oliver

some helpful prints:

--
U-Boot 1.1.1 (Jun 18 2004 - 11:44:16)

CPU:   unknown MPC86x (0x06000000) at 50 MHz: 4 kB I-Cache 4 kB D-Cache
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Oliver Fuchs

Maybe you should specify in bootargs initrd=00200000 too

Regards

Marco Cavallini ============================================== # K-Linux : linux for industrial applications #

Koan s.a.s. - Software Engineering (x86 and ARM) Linux and WinCE solutions for Embedded and Real-Time Software - Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner - Intel PCA Developer Network member Via Pascoli, 3 - 24121 Bergamo - ITALIA Tel./Fax (++39) +35 - 255.235 -

Marco Cavallini

doesn't help I think the bootloader tells the kernel the address of the RAM disk image, because it moves it to another address:

    Image Name:   Ramdisk image from eldk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Oliver Fuchs

here the bootloader is uncompressing the RAMDisk Image in ram, but nobody is telling to the kernel where the RamDisk is located That's because I suggest you to specify in bootargs initrd=00200000 too. Regards

Marco Cavallini ============================================== # K-Linux : linux for industrial applications #

Koan s.a.s. - Software Engineering (x86 and ARM) Linux and WinCE solutions for Embedded and Real-Time Software - Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner - Intel PCA Developer Network member Via Pascoli, 3 - 24121 Bergamo - ITALIA Tel./Fax (++39) +35 - 255.235 -

Marco Cavallini

but it didn't help. I have also tried initrd=0x00d71000 - same result:-(

THX, Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Fuchs

have you verified that there is indeed an executable for init on the filesystem?

Reply to
Marc Britten