newbie: Kernel panic: No init found

Hi all,

newbie needs help.

I try to get up a custom board (MPC857T; SDRAM 16MB; ttyS0:SMC1; eth0:SCC1).
I have ported U-Boot-1.1.1 and the kernel (2.4.20...) but the kernel
seems to fail mounting the RAM disk as rootfs.
Has anyone an idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance
Oliver

some helpful prints:
---
U-Boot 1.1.1 (Jun 18 2004 - 11:44:16)

CPU:   unknown MPC86x (0x06000000) at 50 MHz: 4 kB I-Cache 4 kB D-Cache
Re: newbie: Kernel panic: No init found

Maybe you should specify in bootargs
initrd00%200000 too

Regards

Marco Cavallini
# K-Linux : linux for industrial applications #

Koan s.a.s. - Software Engineering  (x86 and ARM)
Linux and WinCE solutions for Embedded and Real-Time Software
  - Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner
  - Intel PCA Developer Network member
Via Pascoli, 3  - 24121 Bergamo - ITALIA
Tel./Fax (++39) +35 - 255.235 - www.koansoftware.com

Re: newbie: Kernel panic: No init found

doesn't help
I think the bootloader tells the kernel the address of the RAM disk
image, because it moves it to another address:
---
    Image Name:   Ramdisk image from eldk
Re: newbie: Kernel panic: No init found

here the bootloader is uncompressing the RAMDisk Image in ram,
but nobody is telling to the kernel where the RamDisk is located
That's because I suggest you to specify in bootargs initrd00%200000 too.
Regards

Marco Cavallini
# K-Linux : linux for industrial applications #

Koan s.a.s. - Software Engineering  (x86 and ARM)
Linux and WinCE solutions for Embedded and Real-Time Software
  - Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner
  - Intel PCA Developer Network member
Via Pascoli, 3  - 24121 Bergamo - ITALIA
Tel./Fax (++39) +35 - 255.235 - www.koansoftware.com

Re: newbie: Kernel panic: No init found

but it didn't help. I have also tried initrd=0x00d71000 - same result:-(

THX,
Oliver

Re: newbie: Kernel panic: No init found

have you verified that there is indeed an executable for init on the
filesystem?

Site Timeline