Reading Kernel ram after a crash...

I have a need to read the kernel's ram following a crash. I am running on an embedded platform and am using an nfs filesystem.

What tools are available to do that? Any hints or links would be appreciated.

Thanks! Bill

bill.at.

There are many different embedded platforms.

Maybe JTAG can be used if that is supported on the embedded platform.

Regards Rune

Reply to
Rune Christensen

I think I need to be more specific.

I am on what appears to the kernel to be a fairly generic x86 platform. It is connected to the host machine via serial port and ethernet. It both network boots (BOOTP) and has a network file system (NFS). I am running MontaVista embedded linux. KDB is not supplied with this kernel. KGDB doesn't seem to fit - at least not without a lot of tweaking.

I have a two level driver, lower level talks to a FPGA that looks like a serial port. The data is then passed to the upper lever which handles the protocol.

I am crashing in interrupt state. The system no longer responds. I need access to memory as I have a trace buffer there that will point me to the problem. I need a way to access the memory, possibly through some simple command processor.

so - my questions are:

1) does code like that exist - either for built in or module. 2) how can I get control to it after a crash. 3) How can I force a dump of core. 4) If I force a dump, is there a way to read it by address as it existed in memory?

I hope this is more meaningful.

Thanks! Bill

bill.at.

Reply to