IMX 31 phytec hardware not booting up showing kernel panic

Dear all,

I am using a iMX 31 phytec development board with linux as target and
a x86 machine with 10.2 suse linux as host platform.

The target is booting up successfully with the original image . I just
tried to compile the target linux source package and downlaoded into
RAM and then copied into flash I am getting the message

No filesystem could mount root,tried:jffs2
kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(2,0)

here is some settings in config file

#
# Boot options
#
CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_TEXT=0x0
CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_BSS=0x0
CONFIG_CMDLINE="noinitrd console=ttymxc0 root=/dev/mtdblock2 rw
ip=off"
# CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL is not set

# Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
#
CONFIG_MTD=y
# CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_CONCAT is not set
CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
# CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS is not set
CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS=y
# CONFIG_MTD_AFS_PARTS is not set

# Miscellaneous filesystems

CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=0
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER=y
# CONFIG_JFFS2_SUMMARY is not set
# CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_JFFS2_COMPRESSION_OPTIONS is not set
CONFIG_JFFS2_ZLIB=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_RTIME=y
# CONFIG_JFFS2_RUBIN is not set

Do I need to set any variable using setenv on uboot prompt

Thanks in advance

Re: IMX 31 phytec hardware not booting up showing kernel panic

First of all what did you mount as root when using the original image
(was it NFS, Ramdisk ....) ?  Try passing what ever root arguments you
pass in to the original image from Uboot.

Re: IMX 31 phytec hardware not booting up showing kernel panic

Hi Janaka,

The original image mounted over the mtdblock device- flash  with jffs2

Here are the environment variables in the uboot command line parameter

uboot>
printenv
bootdelay3D%3
baudrate3D%115200
netmask3D%255.255.255.0
nfsrootfs3D%/
nfsroot
bootc192.168.3.11
serverip3D%192.168.3.10
root3D%/dev/
mtdblock3
bootargs_flash3D%setenv bootargs root3D%31:03
rootfstype3D%jffs2
mtdparts3D%phys_mapped_flash.0:128k(uboot)ro,128k(env),1792k(kernel),-
(jffs2 fs)ro
 root3D%/dev/
mtdblock3
stdin3D%serial
stdout3D%serial
stderr3D%serial

the result of cat /proc/partition (original image)

root@phyCORE-iMX31:/proc cat partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

  31     0        128 mtdblock0
  31     1        128 mtdblock1
  31     2       1792 mtdblock2
  31     3      15360 mtdblock3
  31     4      15360 mtdblock4
  31     5         16 mtdblock5
  31     6       4096 mtdblock6
  31     7      20480 mtdblock7
  31     8      40944 mtdblock8

The result of cat /proc/mtd (original image)

root@phyCORE-iMX31:/proc cat mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00020000 00008000 "U-Boot"
mtd1: 00020000 00020000 "Env"
mtd2: 001c0000 00020000 "Kernel"
mtd3: 00f00000 00020000 "Rootfs"
mtd4: 00f00000 00020000 "Kernel High"
mtd5: 00004000 00004000 "IPL-SPL"
mtd6: 00400000 00004000 "nand.kernel"
mtd7: 01400000 00004000 "nand.rootfs"
mtd8: 027fc000 00004000 "nand.userfs"

The kernel image was copied to mtdblock2
file system image was copied to mtdblock3

Thanks

Site Timeline