ARMBoot and ElinOS on a DBPXA250 based platform

Hi all,

We are working on a DBPXA250 based platform and we are trying to port
Linux to that. We are using ARMBoot and ElinOS.

What we've done until now:
- We have burnt (using JFlash) a ARMBoot image compiled for Lubbock in
the 0x0000000 address of our platform's Boot Flash.
- We can communicate using the minicom with our host PC, so we think
that the ARMBoot image is working properly.
- In another hand, we have cloned a previous ElinOS project adapting
it for our platform and we have built it as a ARMBoot-Multi image.
- We want to burn it to Flash and use the bootm command for boot it
from Flash, so we have selected the JFFS2 and MTD support in our
Kernel image.
- Furthermore, we have added the console through serial line support
and we have configured it for ttyS0,115200n8.
- So, we have burnt the file that contains the Kernel and File System
images to Flash using the JFlash program (in a Windows environment)
and then we have used the "bootm" command for launch the Kernel image.

The information that gives us the bootloader and that we see through
the minicom is the next:

ARMboot 1.0.2 (Jan 30 2004 - 16:33:49)

ARMboot code: a3000000 -> a30113b4
DRAM Configuration:
Bank #0: a0000000 64 MB
Bank #1: a4000000 0 KB
Bank #2: a8000000 0 KB
Bank #3: ac000000 0 KB
Flash: 64 MB
*** Using default environment
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Unknown command 'FIXME' - try 'help'
=> setenv bootargs=root=/dev/mtdblock/2 devfs=mount
console=ttyS0,115200n8
=> printenv
bootcmd=FIXME
bootdelay=3
baudrate11%5200
ethaddr08%:00:3e:26:0a:5b
ipaddr19%2.168.0.21
serverip19%2.168.0.250
netmask25%5.255.0.0
bootargs=root=/dev/mtdblock/2=devfs=mount console=ttyS0,115200n8

Environment size: 196/16380 bytes
=> bootm 80000
## Booting image at 00080000 ...
## Copy image from flash 00080000 to ram a3100000 ...
   Image Name:   Multi-File Image
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Multi-File Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    416128 Bytes = 406 kB = 0 MB
   Load Address: a0020000
   Entry Point:  a0021000
   Contents:
   Image 0:   243201 Bytes = 237 kB = 0 MB
   Image 1:   172912 Bytes = 168 kB = 0 MB
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Multi-File Image ... OK

Starting kernel ...

## Control returned to monitor

But we don't see the Kernel executing anywhere. We have proved with
ttyS0, ttyS1 and with the two UARTs of our platform (note that our
platform has two serial lines: FFUART and BTUART).

We would like to know:
- What are we doing wrong??
- What "ttySx" corresponds to the FFUART port, ttyS0 or ttyS1???
- What is supposed to happen after the "Starting kernel ..."
message??? We know that our project is built to print a "Hello
World!!" message, but where will we see it???

Another question: we have tryed to use the "loads" command for
download the Kernel image through serial line. But when we put the
command "loads 80000", for example, the bootloader prints "## Ready
for S-Record download..." but after that we cannot write the .srec
Kernel image path. Any advice about this extrange behaviour???

We are new in the Linux world and we have read most of the information
that we have found about ARMBoot and ElinOS, but we only have found
little information and no wide explanations. Could you reccomend us a
place to found information about these matters??

We'd appreciate any advise that you could give us.

Thanks in advance,

Lur

Re: ARMBoot and ElinOS on a DBPXA250 based platform

Don't use ARMBoot, which is a more or  less  dead  projkect.  ARMBoot
sources  have  been  merged  back into a common tree resulting in the
U-Boot sourcetree. A long list of problems have been fixed since.

So it seems you have RAM at 0xa3100000 ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This means you should have RAM at 0xa0020000, too.
Do you really have 64 MB of RAM on your board?

Attach a debugger (BDI2000) and fire up GDB.

At first you should see the kernel's boot messages.

What makes you think you can write a file name? As it's printing, the
monitor is "Ready for S-Record download" and expects you to  download
the  S-records  over the serial line. Use the "~>filename" command in
"cu" to do so.

The successor of ARMBoot, U-Boot, has a pretty long manual at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/Manual

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answers. We were setting the bootargs
wrong, but it seems not to be the problem because we've not been able
to start Linux.

We're now using u-boot 1.0.0. We've read in the u-boot mailing list
that there is u-boot 1.0.2 but we've not found it. Where can we get
it?

We've had some problems with u-boot because of some commented code in
cpu_init() but now it seems to work properly. We're using minicom but
having read that cu or kermit are better (for kernel serial download)
we've installed the uucp package. We've followed the steps in the
u-boot manual but this message appears:

=> cu -lttyS0 -s115200
cu: /dev/ttyS0 Permission denied
    Line in use

How can we solve this problem?

We've searched the kermit code but unsuccessfully, where can we find
it?

By the way, is there someone who is working with eLinos? Perhaps it's
the Linux kernel image which is wrong...

Thanks in advance,

 Sonia

Re: ARMBoot and ElinOS on a DBPXA250 based platform

You can always get recent versions from the CVS server.
Or you can download tarballs from our FTP server.

See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/UBootVersions

RTFM.

See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/SystemSetup#Section_4.5 .

RTFM.

See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/SystemSetup#Section_4.3 .

Then just rebuild it from a clean / known to work kernel source tree.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
Re: ARMBoot and ElinOS on a DBPXA250 based platform

This does not look OK, my _guess_ is that is should be a space
between 2 and devfs and not a '='

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson