Memory Hardware checker on Linux (userlevel) 2.6

hi all,

Anybody knows a RAM checker (to check wiring) runnable as user
application on embedded linux (2.6 kernel) on XScale?

I would need a test that gives significant info on the usability of the
memory wiring - the clue is to either circumvent the MMU or to have a
test that works in spite of it.

Yes I know, if an application gets running, most of memory access must
already be ok, we wouldnt have any app running otherwise - but for the
rest of it i would need to make sure.

Is using /dev/mem a viable choice?

thx for hints,
bernhard
--
Bernhard Mueller
bernhard dot mueller at

Re: Memory Hardware checker on Linux (userlevel) 2.6

No, because you don't know where in physical memory the kernel will have
allocated it's pages, or what other memory it is using for caches or
buffers.

This task is really not supposed to be done under the OS. Can't you do
it in your bootloader instead ?

Re: Memory Hardware checker on Linux (userlevel) 2.6
It should be part of a test suite that also includes several other
functions (IO & communications, running on linux) and gives a summary
report at the end.
I'd like to do all that in a single run, if possible.

--
Bernhard Mueller
bernhard dot mueller at

Re: Memory Hardware checker on Linux (userlevel) 2.6

I have done this in the past. I put the test in the bootloader (where it
can easily test the maximum amount of memory) and stored a flag in the
flash indicating whether the test passed or failed.

Site Timeline