Linux and ARM7

I'm looking into a RTOS and wanted to get some advice from the real
pros out there.  Would linux be a good solution for an embedded medical
device?

Thanks.

Re: Linux and ARM7

Embedded in a patient?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. Like I always
                                  at               say -- nothing can beat

It depends.  If the device can hurt, mistreat or kill the patient, then
no.  If you want an RTOS, then no.  Otherwise, it basically depends on
requirements of graphics, I/O, response time and memory.

http://www.opera.com/mail /

Re: Linux and ARM7

nothing such non-predictable should be used in medical devices. but
since I know that some companies use ARM7 with RT linux in critical
areas, it should work if errors cant harm anybody.

Re: Linux and ARM7

Linux is not realtime and thus it's timing behavior is not 100 %
predictable. Moreover Linux is huge and thus there might be weakly
tested spots. So critical stuff might better be done in another
environment (Not Windows, of course, as this is even less predictable.)

You might want to take a look at stuff like "PIKE OS" (e.g.
www.sysgo.com). This is a small real time OS that is commercially
supported and certified and works together with Linux. So you can do the
non-critical stuff (GUI, Network etc) in Linux. (I never used it so
don't ask...)

-Michael

Site Timeline