What to use for RT tasks

Hello, I am working on a project that has some realtime requirements that will be put on an embedded machine. After writing a few regular Linux programs I noticed that the process was not being handled fast enough in some instances (like maybe once or twice per thousand iterations at a thousand iterations per second). So I got RTLinux and thought I would make the realtime stuff a realtime module. Well that has proven to be a complete monster. The realtime code needs to make some math library calls (acos and sqrt) and it needs to be able to read from a CAN (communication) device. I got the math portion to work after a while, but interfacing to the device looks be a big pain. Also this is not the only task in the project I am in that has realtime requirements. And I should add much of what is already done is done in C++ not C. So my question is this: is using RTLinux a good idea? Is there something better out there? Is there some good thorough documentation on RTLinux, perhaps even a book to buy? Should I just say forget it and write everything in regular user mode Linux. Things have just became way out of control and I am wondering if there is something better out there. Thanks.

Reply to
jtown

Other alternatives:

GPL: RTAI Commercial TimSYS, PikeO