RTOS and developmet tools for ColdFire

Hi Folks,

I am working on a project to design a communication system using Motorola 5282 ColdFire processor. I am looking for RTOS and development tools with the following specifications:

-Robust and Reliable

-Popular

-Good Documentation and Technical support

-Simple and Easy to install

-Scalable and expandable for future applications

-Available device drivers

-Repeatable company

We can not afford expensive RTOS and tools, so I am looking for low-cost or free ones.

Can anyone please give me some information or source of up-to-date information, like a comparison table.

I am specifically intrested in knowing more about open-source RTOS like Embedded-Linux. How is the current status and future trends of Embedded-Linux ?

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

IANAL, but it is highly unlikely that SCO has any reasonable claims for licence fees on ucLinux - even by their own, often bizare and self-contradictory, logic the current ucLinux version is not under threat - it is based on kernel 2.2, while SCO's complaint is soley about 2.4 and above. When 2.6 gets the "stable" stamp, I would guess it will be the next step for ucLinux (i.e., Linux on cpu's without MMUs), since the ucLinux patches are now in the main tree. Then ucLinux will be open to the same licencing questions as full-blown linux. And does anyone really think they have a moral and/or legal right to impose such licences?

Of course, even if you don't have to pay a run-time licence fee, you still have to know/learn a lot about linux internals, and be prepared to put in a fair amount of effort (or pay someone else...) to get everything working on your own boards. The same applies to any embedded OS, whether open or closed source.

Other big open-source RTOSs (ucLinux is an OS, but not an RTOS) that might be worth checking out are RTEMS and eCOS.

David

Reply to
David Brown

Jim, have a look at :

As for dev tools there is a whole variety on the market Ranging from various vendors (TASKING, DiabData, Greenhills) to GNU.

You may have to make up your mind about budgets and available time resources to complete a project. I do not want to comment on the quality of any of the tools.

Of uCOS-II I know that it serves the purpose well and is extremely well documented and supported. (That's for RTOS) as for OS : please browse the comments of the fellows here in the forum.

regards /jan

Jim schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: y9W0b.211288$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...

Reply to
Jan Homuth

Hi Jim,

Assuming you are looking for a real-time operating system (as opposed to a general operating system), I can recommend

The company sells a development board that includes the 5282 as well as a complete development tool set, including an RTOS (actually a uCos-I derivate), TCP/IP, and GNU GCC. I know that the company offer licenses for custom hardware (although I don't know the exact cost for this). As a previous post recommended, I also recommend uCos-II. It's resonably priced for commercial licenses. eCos
could also possibly be of interest for you.

I've gathered a number of links to free RTOS implementations on our website:

Select the 'Knowledg'e submenu, and scroll down to 'RTOS implementations'. The list is by no means complete, but at least there are some links to interesting websites.

If you are interested, you can always download our configurable RTOS for free (including source code). Just download our graphical configuration tool, InfraBed, and make a registration (which is free and very easy). You can then download the configurable source code package. InfraBed can be found under the 'Download' submenu.

It's a portable RTOS, which supports virtually any processor on the market, and we have customers that are using it on the 5282 processor. Writing a port yourself is typically an one day task - and maybe another day of debugging, just to be sure it works :-)

Our RTOS is free for non-commercial applications.

//Anders Rosvall, Embedded Artists

Reply to
Anders Rosvall

Hi Jim,

The first thing they teach in engineering school is "there is no free lunch". This definitely applies to RTOS selection as well. "Free" and "Good Documentation and Support" do not go together - so one will have to be sacrificed. "Free" and "Simple and Easy to install" also are conflicting parameters.

For the Coldfire, I'd recommend looking at the Nucleus RTOS. It has an initial investment, but is royalty free. It is wonderfully stable, well documented and has good technical support. I'm sure that it is not the only good commercial RTOS out there, but we are more than happy with it. You need to consider time to market in this decision. What happens to your business if you are 12 months late on the project because you don't have good support? Are you VC funded? Will your investors get impatient? Will a competitior beat you to market? These are bigger picture questions that are definitely affected by your RTOS decision. Choose wisely my friend...and good luck!!!

Elroy

Reply to
Elroy the Seedy Impaler