RTOS recommendation

Hi all,

I am currently out of a job and am looking to get into embedded device
programming. I have been looking at some Real Time Operating System(s)
and am at a loss as to which one I should use in the beginning.

There are a lot of embedded linux RTOS that are quite cheap and I am
inclined to go with one of them. I was wondering if people could make
some recommendations. Basically, I would want to get hands-on with
something that is being used in the industry and will not get outdated
in the next year. Of course it is has slick developer tools available,
that would be a great plus!

I was pretty impressed with TimeSys (www.timesys.com). However, I would
like to know the view of the folks here.

Also, what development boards should the begineer look at. Are there
any begineer projects that you would recommend?

Thanks.

-K

Re: RTOS recommendation

In the beginning, you shouldn't use one at all.  Write some
simple embedded embedded applications without an RTOS: Blink
some LEDs, send "hello" out a UART.

Once you understand how to do stuff like that, then start with
a simple RTOS like uC/OS.  There's a very good book that
describes the internals and which includes a CD. Or there are
versions you can download.

Slightly more complex is eCos (also a free download).

Embedded Linux is pretty complex.  If you haven't done embedded
stuff before, I'd start with something simpler.

Not really.  Slick tools hide many of the things you need to
learn.

I'd start with something like an HC11 eval board or an H8/300
eval board.  They usually come with "starter" versions of
tools, though I prefer to use Gnu stuff.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... Blame it on the
                                  at               BOSSA NOVA!!!

Or start with an even simpler (but still powerful) RTOS like Sciopta.  It has
a hassle-free message-based architecture that keeps you well away from the
pain of mail boxes and application-programmer-managed message queues.

Re: RTOS recommendation
Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

Site Timeline