LE-362 SBC with Snapgear

Hi Folks,

I've got a LE-362 SBC. It has VIA embedded Eden CPU which is PIII compatible. To build an embedded linux image, I started with SnapGear. I got the latest tool chains and source code. For build configuration, since there's no "VIA/embedded Eden" option in the "vendor/product selections", I select "VIA/EPIA". I also selected defaults for all other settings. However, during the make, it complained "invalid register variables" in the "flashloader.c" file. I went back to configuration and disabled the "flashloader" feature and rebuit. This time, it complained about "as86" command for "lilo" is not found. isn't as86 the assembler which should come with the tool chains? Does anyone know what are the right steps/configurations for my case?

many thanks!

Reply to
GoodLuck

Yes, this should be good enough. You will probabaly need to tweak some of the other kernel configs settings though, for the differences between the LE-362 hardware and the real Epia board.

The default Via/EPIA config option for # CONFIG_USER_BOOTTOOLS_FLASHLOADER is not set is disabled. You may want to investigate how this got turned on, and make sure all the other options are set to the real defaults.

as86, and a small number of other very-common or rarely-used tools aren't included in the snapgear toolchains. you can just use the normal as86 from your host system.

regards,

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     damion@snapgear.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Damion de Soto

Thanks for the info, Damion.

I could go further by disabling the "flashloader" option and installing the dev86 package obtained from RedHat (I'm running the Fedora Core 2 as the host). But now I've got this error: " ... make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/snapgear/user/mtd-utils' gcc -I/usr/include -c -o build/compr_rtime.o compr_rtime.c compr_rtime.c:27:27: linux/string.h: No such file or directory ... " The build process had been using "i386-linux-gcc" before this error, why did it switch to "gcc" all of a sudden? Also, it seems looking at a wrong folder for the string.h file. Any idea why this happened?

Thanks again!

Reply to
GoodLuck

It switched to gcc because it's building the host mtd tools. depending on what kernel/distro your host is running, you'll probably get those errors. easiest way to fix is to edit compr_rtime.c and remove all the #include lines, and replace them with:

#include #include #include

should then compile easily.

regards,

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     damion@snapgear.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Damion de Soto

Now I could build the romfs.tar.gz image. I'll start to load the images onto LE-362 board. I'll keep posting here on my progress.

Thanks, Damion, for wonderful help!

Reply to
GoodLuck