Flash GUI for embedded systems ?

I'm currently working on an embedded system project with Linux 2.6, PXA270 (312 MHz), 32MB flash and 64MB RAM. I decided to use DirectFB and the DirectFB examples are running well on a 320x240 display. Since time is short we want to keep the effort for building the GUI as low as possible. But the marketing staff wants to have a stylish one. I don't have any experience with Flash or Actionscript, but I wonder if it's possible to design the GUI with a Flash editor, run it as the frontend and hook in the rest of the application somehow. Have any of you used Flash as a GUI frontend on an embedded Linux device ?? Is that possible ???

Reply to
josimda

Flash is closed sourced. If want to see something exciting, use evas and edje. See

and as a teaser download

EEM is not released yet, but you may ask raster if he shares that code.

Anyway, it's possible to do exciting interfaces with the EFL.

:M:

-- [ Michael 'Mickey' Lauer ]

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer

Interesting, too bad my toshiba e330 wont run any Unix derivative..

Reply to
Ziggy

This looks very interesting. Thanks for the hint. I guess that all libraries of the enlightenment project will need X to run. The problem is, that we don't have X on the device. I guess that including X will lead to longer boot times (until application starts) which I want to avoid. Therefore I wanted DirectFB as the base for the graphical interface. It's small, fast and has enough features to make a proper interface. X seems to me to be a heavyweight thing that adds complexity to the system, which might cause further trouble. But maybe I have not the right imagination of it....

Reply to
josimda

Have you looked at elinks? You could run a web browser and then access it with elinks; AFAICT elinks will do graphics on a fb...

Let me know how it turns out; I am headed down that way as soon as I get some hardware.

Reply to
Captain Dondo

^^^^^^^ server

Reply to
Captain Dondo

No. Most parts of the EFL feature a framebuffer backend.

:M:

-- [ Michael 'Mickey' Lauer ]

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer

Elinks doesn't seem to be a good solution. It's a text based browser, but we need PNG graphics in the menus and a live video from a camera in the background of the GUI. Alpha blending would be fine...

Reply to
josimda

There is a version that can insert PNG graphics into a frame buffer screen; google for the various links flavors. Some may be in Czech, though. I had it installed on my old workstation before the SCSI cable crapped out....

I don't know about the video feed. You might also look at mplayer; it has drivers for just about everything, including frame buffers and svga, although the latter needs some work.

Reply to
Captain Dondo

I must be blind. It's written on the frontpage, that e.g. Evas can use different backends like framebuffer and directfb.. I will go through the documentation page and try to find out if this will run on my configuration...

Reply to
josimda