How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux

Hi All,
   I like to develope an GUI application on embedded linux. Any one
help me how do i go about this? Is there any books/tutorial on this?

Regards,
Josi

Re: How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux

There meaning of "GUI app on embedded Linux" has different
meanings to different people.  You might want to clarify
this a little.   That said, .....

One common GUI for embedded Linux is using a framebuffer
and not X windows.  This kind of GUI is often found on
low resolution appliances like VCRs or other set-top boxes.
Our book, Linux Appliance Design, has a chapter on how to
build this kind of GUI.

The other type of GUI is for higher resolution (or more
memory) devices such as cell phones or PDAs.  These often
use X, GTK, and a full X development environment.  Take a
look at open-moko or Maemo for examples for a tutorial on
this kind of GUI.

Bob Smith

Re: How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux
Take a look at QT or Quotopia from TrollTech.

Re: How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux

Yes, it depends on your specific requirement. For instance, are you
working on a standalone device with LCD? or you are doing STB to which
a TV is connected? Do you only want a simple GUI or sophisticated
windowing environment? Do you need a embedded browser with it?

IMO, there are several candidates for embedded GUI development:
1 -> QT. QT is dual licensed though its source code is available. The
GUI implementation is said to be the best but code size/image size is
not small on the other hand.
2 -> Microwindow/Nano-X; Much smaller than QT, easier for porting, and
open sourced;
3 -> MiniGUI, the latest version is not open sourced;
4 -> GTK/DirectFB;
5 -> DirectFB, it could supports hardware acceleration.

An excellent reference is available online from LinuxDevices.com at
http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9202043619.html .

Enjoy!

Marco Wang

Site Timeline