How to develop GUI based application on Embedded Linux

Hi All, I like to develope an GUI application on embedded linux. Any one help me how do i go about this? Is there any books/tutorial on this?

Regards, Josi

Reply to
ksmahaps

There meaning of "GUI app on embedded Linux" has different meanings to different people. You might want to clarify this a little. That said, .....

One common GUI for embedded Linux is using a framebuffer and not X windows. This kind of GUI is often found on low resolution appliances like VCRs or other set-top boxes. Our book, Linux Appliance Design, has a chapter on how to build this kind of GUI.

The other type of GUI is for higher resolution (or more memory) devices such as cell phones or PDAs. These often use X, GTK, and a full X development environment. Take a look at open-moko or Maemo for examples for a tutorial on this kind of GUI.

Bob Smith

Reply to
Bob Smith

Take a look at QT or Quotopia from TrollTech.

Reply to
santa19992000

Yes, it depends on your specific requirement. For instance, are you working on a standalone device with LCD? or you are doing STB to which a TV is connected? Do you only want a simple GUI or sophisticated windowing environment? Do you need a embedded browser with it?

IMO, there are several candidates for embedded GUI development:

1 -> QT. QT is dual licensed though its source code is available. The GUI implementation is said to be the best but code size/image size is not small on the other hand. 2 -> Microwindow/Nano-X; Much smaller than QT, easier for porting, and open sourced; 3 -> MiniGUI, the latest version is not open sourced; 4 -> GTK/DirectFB; 5 -> DirectFB, it could supports hardware acceleration.

An excellent reference is available online from LinuxDevices.com at

Enjoy!

Marco Wang

Reply to
Marco Wang