starting embedded linux development

Hi. I'm posting this in a couple of newsgroups that seem to be the most applicable to my questions.

I'm about to start a development project based on the Technologic Systems TS-7250 running linux. While I have plenty of experience doing embedded development, this is my first embedded linux project. I plan on using Cygwin on the host side, and I'm most interested in how people debug applications and kernel code in this environment. I understand I need to run dbg on the target and a dbg stub of some type on the Cygwin side. I'd also like to find some type of GUI front end for the host side debugger. Any and all suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Lee Thalblum

Reply to
Lee Thalblum

You'd better off if you could dedicate a real Linux box for the development environment instead of Cygwin.

I had all kinds of problems with the connection to the target system due to the non-transparent device handling in the Windows layer. It is not Cygwin's fault, it is indeed astonishingly good in showing the Windows system to an Unixish system interface, but the I/O is only quite, but not complete.

My targets are embedded AVR's and ARM's.

Just my EUR .02

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

[...]

I don't know this processor. But in general, I'd avoid Cygwin unless your hardware is supported by a debug peripheral for which there are only Windows drivers. It's just an additional layer of complexity - much easier to go with native Linux.

As for graphical frontends, insight is the canonical choice.

Reply to
larwe