Use of RAMdisk for embedded Linux

We are attempting to embed Linux on a PC104 with Compact Flash.

While I presume that you can have LILO load the complete filesystem into a RAM disk, we are electing to leave the bulk of the read only portion uncompressed on the flash. This 1) saves RAM and 2) allows us to directly update the root fs on occasion. We are testing with a harddrive (at hda3) At this time we have mounted /home /var and /dev on ramdisk. We note that proc/paritions indicates a very small number of IOs, around 3 per 10 secs on the hda3 drive, which will ultiimately become the Flash.

1) Has anyone found decent documention for constructing an embedded system as partitioned as outlined above- or has anyone done this. We have read 4 commercially available books and scoured the WEB with little return.

2) Does linux have a way to point to the files being accessed as write. We have played a bit with fuser and find with mixed results.

Any help appreciated Fritz Woods Hole Oceanographic

Reply to
frederick sonnichsen

How many writes vs. read? one write per 3 secs or 28,000 per day will destroy a compact flash in a few days. We toasted one with 30,000 in three days.

Look into init ramdisk and mount the root fs read only.

Cheap IDE compact flash drive

Sales for IDE-CF flash drive