free/commercial distribution for linux appliance

Hello,
    I am trying to create a Linux appliance out of a system having a PIII
processor, 128 MB Flash drive and 128 MB RAM. The appliance will not
have a hardrive though. Apart from the base modules, the system needs
networking module in order to communicate through the serial ports. I
also plan to install PERL and/or Java and execute scripts on the
appliance.  Which mini free/commercial distribution will be most
suitable for the above system? Also, where can I obtain documentation
to build such a system? Thank you for your time.

Re: free/commercial distribution for linux appliance

flash drive = compact flash? If that is the case then you do have a
hardrive for all practical purposes.

PERL? Hmm.. that is rather heavy? What is wrong with shell scripts?

I have used
        http://www.uclibc.org /
there are some precompiled root filesystems with most tools you will
ever need... but in addition to this you will need to compile and
install a Linux kernel.

When checking http://lwn.net/Distributions/index.php3#embed I did
also find this - I guess it would suite you...
        http://web.tvnetwork.hu/~krichy/cfdev /

On the respective sites, or if you prefere dead trees...

Karim Yaghmour's Building Embedded Linux Systems

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå
Re: free/commercial distribution for linux appliance

Hello,

I've heard of these gadgets with flash-memory and Linux
  http://www.lart.tudelft.nl
  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~pleb

Check also pointers to "small and micro Linux resources" in
http://www.futuredesktop.org/#distrolist

Or maybe http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

All the best,

// os moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org
    :)

Re: free/commercial distribution for linux appliance

Try looking here for a list of embedded distros. They list
some of the various linux OS setup from around the world.

http://www.distrowatch.com /

Al

Re: free/commercial distribution for linux appliance

I'd suggest http://ptxdist.sf.net

It's free, tiny, and very good at cross-compiling.

Not sure whether it has a Perl package, but I suspect
you can just use Perl compiled for the PC, it'd just work.
- Dan

Re: free/commercial distribution for linux appliance

I'm working on a stripped down Debian stable system(+ a mix of busybox)
and some notes and perl scripts to try and manage it.
Basically you should be able to add in any needed components from
Debian stable.

http://www.turbobit.com/abox.html

I've seen some embedded linux books at the store recently,
they would be good resources.

Karl.

Site Timeline