free/commercial distribution for linux appliance

Hello, I am trying to create a Linux appliance out of a system having a PIII processor, 128 MB Flash drive and 128 MB RAM. The appliance will not have a hardrive though. Apart from the base modules, the system needs networking module in order to communicate through the serial ports. I also plan to install PERL and/or Java and execute scripts on the appliance. Which mini free/commercial distribution will be most suitable for the above system? Also, where can I obtain documentation to build such a system? Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Vinay

flash drive = compact flash? If that is the case then you do have a hardrive for all practical purposes.

PERL? Hmm.. that is rather heavy? What is wrong with shell scripts?

I have used

there are some precompiled root filesystems with most tools you will ever need... but in addition to this you will need to compile and install a Linux kernel.

When checking

I did also find this - I guess it would suite you...

On the respective sites, or if you prefere dead trees...

Karim Yaghmour's Building Embedded Linux Systems

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
SkellefteƄ

Hello,

I've heard of these gadgets with flash-memory and Linux

Check also pointers to "small and micro Linux resources" in

Or maybe

All the best,

// os moma

:)

Reply to
os moma

Try looking here for a list of embedded distros. They list some of the various linux OS setup from around the world.

Al

Reply to
Alpinekid

I'd suggest

It's free, tiny, and very good at cross-compiling.

Not sure whether it has a Perl package, but I suspect you can just use Perl compiled for the PC, it'd just work.

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

I'm working on a stripped down Debian stable system(+ a mix of busybox) and some notes and perl scripts to try and manage it. Basically you should be able to add in any needed components from Debian stable.

I've seen some embedded linux books at the store recently, they would be good resources.

Karl.

Reply to
Karl Bongers