Create ttyN

Hi.

I'm running a linux 2.4.30 kernel on a development platform for STB with a
MIPS cpu. When the target starts I just have /dev/tty and /dev/console, but
I need to use virtual consoles to run some applications based on X and SDL.
So I need to create /dev/tty0, tty1 etc. but if I simply make nodes with:

mknod ttyN c 4 N

and I try to

cat file > ttyN

I have "no such device" error.

I also tried to add a command line such as:

console=ttyN

but it doesn't create the specified device in /dev folder.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
Pizza67

Re: Create ttyN

Did you enable pty support in the kernel config ?

Jon

#
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE is not set
# CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED is not set
# CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT25%6
# CONFIG_PRINTER is not set
# CONFIG_PPDEV is not set
# CONFIG_TIPAR is not set

Re: Create ttyN

Thanks for your response. Yes I have enabled the support for pty. My
charachter devices config is listed below.

Thanks again for your support,
Pizza67

#
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_TANGO2_BASE_BAUD11%5200
CONFIG_SERIAL_TANGO2_UARTNR=2
# CONFIG_SERIAL_TANGO2_SWAPPORT is not set
CONFIG_TANGO2_UART0_AS_GPIO_PARTIAL=y
CONFIG_TANGO2_UART1_AS_GPIO_PARTIAL=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED is not set
# CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
CONFIG_TANGO2_SCARD=m
CONFIG_TANGO2_IR=m
CONFIG_TANGO2_FIP=m
CONFIG_TANGO2_FIP_REF1=y
# CONFIG_TANGO2_FIP_REF2 is not set
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT25%6
# CONFIG_PRINTER is not set
# CONFIG_PPDEV is not set
# CONFIG_TIPAR is not set

Re: Create ttyN

All looks ok to me.

Are you using "make menuconfig", if not try it - it will try and set
anything required that you may have missed editing .config by hand.

Sure your doing "make dep; make; make modules; make modules_install;make
<image - often bzImage>; make install".

Personally I would go through the menus in "make menuconfig" in some
detail, build a kernel, reboot - Find the makedev script and run "Makedev
all", reboot again and see if thats any better.......... its not
scientific but it often works for me.

vt devices don't have much dependency, so they should work on all archs
without problems. Im no expert, but it works for me.

Jon

Site Timeline