Geode and linux kernel

hello all, I'm building a linux kernel for a PC104+ board including a National Semiconductor Geode GX1 300MHz processor (Lippert Cool Road Runner

2)

With the make xconfig command (debian kernel 2.4.27 or 2.6.8), I don't see the Geode processor in the list of subarchitecture for x86. Could someone tell me an equivalent processor type for Geode?

Is this processor well supported by actual Linux kernel?

thanks in advance

Reply to
Mouarf

Hi,

You will need kernel 2.6.14 to use the Geode GX1 properly. Don't forget to not only activate the right CPU, but also the framebuffer (I believe it's under charachter devices).

BTW : how much is the Cool RoadRunner 2 ?

Kind regards,

Wim

Mouarf wrote:

Reply to
Wim Godden

Not, so. We have it running on 2.2 and 2.4 kernels as 586.

Framebuffer is optional. Xfree 4+ will activiate it.

586

Yes, but don't expect a high performance graphic system. GX2 can run at 500MHz with better video pipeline. Of couser, if you really need it, LX is a better choice.

Reply to
linnix

For an optimized configuration use i586 For a generic (one that fits all) use i386

--
Marco Cavallini
Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - ITALIA

thanks for your answers. I actually do not need any X, only console on VGA or via serial interface I will use a more recent kernel.

Price per unit is around 530? for the 300MHz 256MB RAM version but will not be produced anymore because of RoHS and GX1 µC not available in roHS package.

"linnix" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Mouarf