Updating linux kernel on a flash

I have an embedded Linux system on a Freescale PPC board. It is using a
flash with those zones:

- U-Boot (1.1.3)
- U-Boot parameters
- Linux kernel (2.6.11)
- GNU/Linux root filesystem (JFFS2)

In exploitation, I want to be able to update the software files (from an
Ethernet connection). There is not problem updating part of GNU/Linux
software (in the JFSS2 partition), but how can I update the Linux kernel
which is on the flash?

--
Éric Lévénez -- <http://www.levenez.com/
Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life.

Re: Updating linux kernel on a flash

You should investigate looking for u-boot environment current settings.
Take a look at u-boot manual :
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBoot

Ciao
--
Marco Cavallini
Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - ITALIA

I know how to change U-boot setting and choose a particular Linux kernel
when I am in the U-Boot command line interface. But what I don't know is how
to write in flash a new kernel and how to update the U-Boot variables when I
am running in the GNU/Linux environment.

--
Éric Lévénez -- <http://www.levenez.com/
Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life.

Re: Updating linux kernel on a flash
I have read more carefully the U-boot document, and found that I have to
installed a flash device driver (/dev/mtd) in Linux to access raw flash
memory. With that I should be able to put a second linux kernel in the
flash. That's fine.

The second step would be to read the U-boot setup, patch the address on the
new kernel, and rewrite the setup in flash.

--
Éric Lévénez -- <http://www.levenez.com/
Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life.

Site Timeline