hp officejet 4110 all-in-one

I gather there are two steps, at least, to the printing process. The first applies the ink, the second fuses it to paper.

If that's correct, it still may be a paper jam issue. Because if the jamming comes before the fusing, of course the ink is not properly attached to the paper.

I got a nice small laser printer for ten dollars at a school rummage sale, and when I tried it, it jammed. It turned out to be something as simple as scotch tape stuck inside the paper path. Once that was cleared out, it worked fine. But it was really slow, so I didn't stick with it. Too bad because it was a real postscript printer, and nice and small.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I think you're right.

I'll have to read the service manual until I get a sense of how the thing is put together and what can be accessed. That will take a while. Presently, my theory is this: (1) The ghastly sound and the paper jam have a common origin. (2) The ghastly sound is due to some gear that is not engaging properly. (3) That gear probably turns some chain that is responsible for making the paper go through the fuser.

If that is correct, the questions become: (4) Can I really access the relevant part of the printer? (5) Can I get a replacement part, if that is what is required?

I expect the answer to (5) to be "yes, from hp's website", which would also suggest that the answer to (4) is also "yes, if you have the right tools".

Anyway, the first thing to do is read the service manual, all 450 pages of it. I prefer to read hardcopy, but at the moment that presents a chicken-and-egg problem.

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler