Large LED display?

Hi all,

Has anybody here ever tried to create a large display using just LEDs, like a 640x480 display for eventual use with a computer after control logic is added?

I know, skeptics will say that's too much soldering to do, and then control logic wouldn't be compatible with any existing video circuitry, but then again individual LEDs nearly last forever and if multicolor LEDs are used it could be pretty pleasant to look at.

The key would be finding a cheap source of LEDs, since even a 640x480 display needs 307,200 of them and most people these including myself prefer at least 800x600 for 480,000 total.

Thanks.

Reply to
yubbers9

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar

Forget that! Look at this site:

It is hugh displays using a single line of led's on a spinning arm. Makes full color video..

Reply to
James Thompson

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

The largest one I ever played with was a 640*200 CGA compatible display. Its dimensions were roughly 4x1.4m and it was build up with 16x16 5mm LED tiles. It was placed in the Congresgebouw at The Hague at the time. The LEDs were bi-color types, red and green, but only red was ever used. Some simple calcs learn that it contained 133120 LEDs. The thing was also pretty noisy as it required a lot of cooling fans. These days you'd look for 3mm tricolor LEDs in tiles of 32x32. So it can be done but I will not go for it (unless someone's gonna pay me)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Here's a couple of LED array systems that are build for such purposes. I worked on developing testing, binning, and color balance systems for production runs of these:

These use three separate supplies for red, green, and blue, include current DACs and support for PWM for intensity built into them. They burn some power, so I included the backsides in the first picture so you can see the method used as part of the heat sinking for them.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Those are neat. But I think a better approach would be to have a fixed strip of LEDs and scan the image using a rotating mirror and optics to make a projection system. The size of spinning arm displays is limited by the arm length and swing radius. And you don't have to figure out how to upload image data to a spinning arm.

There was a man who entered a local paper's pun contest. He sent in ten
different puns, in the hope that at least one of them would win.
Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Did you notice the 6KW - 57 KW power requirement?

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

LED adds up. Each single color LED is about 20mA. Toss in 138,240 LEDs for a smaller display, tri color element taking probably over

60mA and that easy gets over 8 amps top.

LED are great for outdoor display and other major area like sports stadium. But defiantly not for in home use.

too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
Reply to
Impmon

and may well use just as much power as having individual LEDs (to get the same brightness).

Reply to
CWatters

On 06/10/2006 the venerable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com etched in runes:

Have a look here:

and click on "Chain Reaction". There's some of my work buried inside it.

--
John B
Reply to

How do you get that, 138000 x .06 = 8280 amps.

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

You need it if you compete with the sun...even on a small scale !

Reply to
skenn_ie