cyrix 586 mainboard

good day!

i have a problem with my cyrix 586 mainboard. When i turn it on, it sounds one beep, displaying BIOS logo, running memory count, but when it begins searching for OS or maybe turning to that phase, it now hangs. just there forever w/ a blinking cursor. i tried to swap the BIOS but just the same. i like to restore this computer because its wonderful to learn new things & if it is fixed, it can still be useful because i do encoding only most of the time. pls anyone on the web can give me ideas and suggestions on how to save this computer. helps would be so greatly appreciated.

ian (phil.)

Reply to
cheian07

Your question would be more appropriate for one of the groups here:

The problem is not the MoBo.

1 beep means that the system passed POST. A BIOS screen means the video (thus all the basic hardware is OK).

It could be your HDD is bad. More likely Windoze is screwed up. Do you get a non-system disk message?

In CMOS Setup, set your boot precedence so that it sees the floppy drive or or the CD drive before the HDD. Use you Startup Disk or your Windows Install CD.

Bet you get a DOS prompt.

Reply to
JeffM

If you have Video and no BIOS-errors, there's no problem with the MotherBoard. I suppose you didn't flash your BIOS just before the problem came up, so it sounds like the MBR of your harddisk is damaged. Are you still able to boot with a floppy disk ?

First check if your HD is still recognized by the BIOS and try restoring the MBR. But if that doesn't work, you'll have to reformat (possibly repartition) the harddisk. I don't think the HD will be defective, because in that case, you should get an error-message from BIOS.

HTH, Mark Van Borm

Reply to
Mark VB