BEEP CODES

I just soldered on a new power port onto my HP Pavilion N5430 motherboard and everything seemed to go ok. When I pluged it back in I could hear the power running throught it. I turned it on (forgot to put in the RAM) and it started to power up, then BEEP-BEEP-BEEP BEEP. I can still here the electricity when the power cord is plugged in, but nothing happens when I try and power on (put the RAM back in and tried; still to no avail).

Can't seem to find the BEEP CODE online; can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA

Ferney

A quick search with google found them!

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:8T1TXRidw5QJ:h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp%3FobjectID%3Dbph01053+hp+pavilion+beep+code&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=3&client=firefox-a

Regards Lee

Reply to
Lee

Ferney wrote in news:Xns97F7D8DC4A0755936821047@64.59.144.76:

What brand of BIOS does the laptop have? AMI? Phoenix? etc.

Reply to
Jim Land

Lee wrote in news:44ac9b4d snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

looks like those codes are for a Pavilion 7x series, whereas I have the N5xxx series.

Would I get a beep code every time I try and turn it on? It only happened on the first try and now there is no response when I press the power button.

I'm thinking I've killed another.

Thx for the help though

Jim Land wrote in news:Xns97F8567E1541RrrrFfffTttt4396hotm@216.168.3.44:

I don't think I can find that out w/o being able to boot the laptop. I would have checked before I tried the repair, but the power port crapped out and the battery doesn't work, so I just went to town on it.

I'm under the assumption that if it were a BEEP CODE, I would get it every time I try and power up. In my case, it only happen on the initial power up (after the repair) and now the machine is completely unresponsive when I press the power button.

I may have neglected something when I put it back together; I was hoping the BEEP CODE would point me to the problem, but I'm thinking I just trashed another machine. Good thing it was my GFs.

A wrote in news:Xns97FAAA07EEFF6fchancecom@

64.59.144.76:

get it

the

completely

was

thinking I

Yes, if the BIOS discovers a problem at power-on, it will beep each time you turn it on (until you fix the problem). Since it no longer beeps, it isn't even powering up. Time to look and see if the mainboard is getting voltage when you turn it on. No-voltage is a good possibility for the symptoms you have. Of course, since you can't plug in the ac power adapter, you're relying on battery voltage. Maybe the battery is discharged?

Reply to
Jim Land

Jim Land wrote in news:Xns97FAD632DE122RrrrFfffTttt4396hotm@216.168.3.44:

Ya, unfortunately the battery hasn't held a charge for quite some time now. If I put my ear real close to the machine, I can hear a light hum of electricity when its plugged in.

I have a feeling I need to take it all apart and take the board into the local repair shop and have them look at the work I did on it. I don't know enough about fixing this type of stuff to troubleshoot where I went wrong. I was warned about the (capacitors?) that are located right next to the power port I replaced; maybe I damaged one in the process (although I thought I did a pretty good job). I tried this identical repair on an almost identical machine (N5420 v N5430) and butchered the board bad, so I was ubercareful this time (however, I did manage to burn the crap out of my hand with the soldering iron).

Your thoughts and help are appreciated.

Regards,