New theory/story: Bios is dead ! Possible evidence: CPU Fan spins slowly.

Hello,

The BIOS chip could be dead.

Possible evidence:

When turning on the power the cpu fan spins slowly ?!

(Some have said the cpu fan is controlled by motherboard and spins up to full speed (?))

Possible invalid evidence:

Graphics cards fans spin up to 100%, this is probably invalid evidence since these fans could be controlled by the cards themselfes ?!

^^^ These do spin up last time I checked ^^^

Possible causes for dead bios:

  1. Bios attack from "crack".

  1. Bios corruption from many resets because of system freeze. (Maybe power surges)

  2. Bugged beta bios killed it.

  1. Flashing could be bad, some transistors failed to be flashed properly.

  2. Bad quality of bios chip. (Possibly refurbished motherboard (?))

  1. Bios chip damaged by touching it.

  2. Wrong settings killed bios chip (?).

  1. Too much heat killed bios chip (?).

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck

I'm waiting for you to stop crossposting, so someone can help you. This doesn't belong in sci.electronics.design. Try posting *only* to the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus group, and then someone can walk through a test procedure..

Paul

Reply to
Paul

For gods sake.. get over the fixation of fans, static and bios chips..

You havn't even done the most simple of checking procedures. Which would be checking the power supply or trying with another one.

Or disconnect all the unecessary extra components such as all the extras hd's.

Before faffing around with bios chips and pulling out motherboards and what not It would of been the first thing I would of checked.

Reply to
Craig Sutton

This explains the problem completely:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Wrong! i think it's PICNIC!

Maus

--
(\\__/)
(O.o )

Another possible cause, Motherboard Logo program corrupted the bios. Ak

Reply to
Alfred Kaufmann

The more you muck with this board, the more damage you are going to do. You don't have 5% of the knowledge or the tools to work on something this complex. Either get a new motherboard, or send this one back for repair. Expect to pay for repair, as you have likely voided the warranty by messing with it.

And please don't post this endless tale of woe to s.e.d. It's actually not appropriate.

John

"Craig Sutton" wrote in news:f40fgp$7su$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz:

My PC(900Mhz Athlon) was having trouble BECAUSE of a bad PC fan. It was loading the PS and causing reboots.And the fan was still turning at speed,not slow.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

First check the CMOS battery. Most will run with a dead battery but it is a pain having to enter the settings every time you power it up.

What are the Power On Self Test codes telling you? The computer should beep the internal speaker one time if everything is working. More than once means you have a problem - the motherboard manual should tell you what the beeps are indicating is wrong. Research POST codes for the mobo you have if that's the case. The POST is there so you have some way to troubleshoot if the display or keyboard is having problems.

If it beeps once and fails to boot, but the screen comes up, use the start up disc, your master boot record must be damaged. The boot record is corrupt, missing or not where the BIOS expects to find it.

There's a DOS command for restoring the master boot record, RMBR, but it depends on your version of windows or what OS you are using. Research the problem if that's the case. Drive overlays, and added stuff like PCI hard drive controllers may require a non standard boot for everything to function properly. Plain vanilla computers are easier to fix.

Unlikely. You're the computer expert - certainly you didn't kill it.

Lightening and Tesla coils can write to the bios settings on my system, but they only change the date time, and maybe at worse, I'll have to re detect the hard drives. That last has only happened once.

Are you flashing the BIOS? That is asking for trouble with most motherboards. You said something about an Asus board in one post, they are supposed to be almost idiot proof with their flashing system.

The ONLY time one flashes a BIOS is to upgrade to allow it to handle some piece of added hardware or to eliminate a bug in the original flashing - Flashing the BIOS is a last resort no matter how good you are with computers. Last resort - means you have already spare BIOS in one hand or a back up computer and really, really, need it.

Best plan is don't flash - unless of course you bought an ASUS with the foolproof flashing and bad flash recovery.

Anything is possible

You were wearing your "summer shoes" again and shuffling across the carpet?

Wrong settings are common - they will make it look like the BIOS or MoBo is bad - but there's usually a choice somewhere in the BIOS setup that allows one to chose default settings - to bring it back to something that should work, then you just have to choose "detect hard drives" or enter the number of heads and cylinders from the HDD spec sheet manually.

The BIOS itself runs cool, it doesn't do much except start the computer and hold the settings, it doesn't use a lot of power - they have to run on batteries for back up. If the BIOS dies from heat, it would probably be due to another source of heat - a hard drive or processor is more likely to die of heat, it generates.

Newsgroups
default

It's the most likely problem honey ;)

To risky to f*ck around with my other computers I need them ;)

The green light on the motherboard is on indicating the power supply is ok ?!

Well duh, ofcourse I already disconnected as much as possible, except the 4 GB chips... I simply left those in ;)

Now the motherboard is out though, I am done with testing and trying to get it to work... first I might need replacement parts.

Been there done that :)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck

The motherboard should be well designed to take my tiny little beating ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck

Nope, just standby voltage is present. Not an indicator that the voltage is good/correct, so on.

Swapping the power supply out is always a good start.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Maybe. But more changes may only exponentially complicate the problem. BIOS does not operate until it receives a signal from the power supply controller. The power supply 'system' (which is more than just a power supply) can be completely defective and still a light glows; fan spins. There is no way around numbers. There is no way around first confirming the power supply 'system' is functional. That is two minutes with a 3.5 digit multimeter - a tool so ubiquitous as to be sold even in Kmart (and Radio Shack, Lowes, Tru-value Hardware, Sear, Wal-Mart, Home Depot....)

Procedure is posted in "When your computer dies without warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp at:

Use numbers in that discussion AND post numbers here for further information (and to learn what those numbers say).

Never swap parts or change wires until a suspect has been identified. Two minutes with a meter will either accuse or exonerate the power supply 'system'. Only then are you ready to move on to other suspects. Doing it this way means you know what is good and what is definitively bad. Currently, everything remains unknown - the third state.

Get the meter. Use the procedure. Report back the numbers. Two minutes to uncomplicated a problem.

Reply to
w_tom

The answer is simple. The motherboard is dirty. Carefully place the board into a plastic tub half-filled with hydroflouric acid (5% solution) and allow it to soak for 24 hours. If you're really in a hurry, make it 50% solution. This will thoroughly clean the bios contacts and, well, everything else on the board with remarkable results. It also works wonders on you car windows.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Krebs

Just change the fecking motherboard and stop harassing us ! You cant fix it !

Reply to
Marra

ha, you didn't pull the memory ? you should at least do that to see if you get the memory error code beep ! if so, that would tell you that you have a bad chip.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Nope, I have no reason to believe it's damaged.

Risky, might damage memory modules.

Can the motherboard operate without memory modules ?

I was under the impression computers need memory to operate ?!

That's a possibility I would rather not think about ;)

Does it beep if there is no CPU in it as well ?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck

Are you witnessing sound corruption ?

Why would boot fail because a memory chip is damaged ?

Won't the motherboard simply p

Reply to
Skybuck The Destroyer

as far as your CPU, i don't know, on my MB, i have a mini processor that's part of the MB resources and it channels the primitive speaker out to my shelf speakers. It will verbally tell me if there is no CPU. after all the post are done , then tells me it's booting from the operating system. You don't need the memory in for the very basic boot start that bios goes through when resetting the main CPU.. Most MB's have a wire called the PG (power good) that will shut the power supply off for various reasons.

You have to stop complaining and do some serious research .

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Woopsie...

Anyway what I was gonna say is:

I have no reason to believe the motherboard would fail booting even if there is a damaged memory chip inside it.

For now I will assume the motherboard continues even if:

cpu dead, memory dead, anything else dead.

That would be real smart.

No need to remove components, saves a whole lot of potential risk damaged because of moving around components :)

Also no beep codes in manual.

Besides the best strategy now is to replace the bios chip first.

Don't you agree with that ?

The way I see it is really simple:

If my theory is correct and the bios is dead then no matter what I move, no beep codes will occur.

So my conclusion is the correct conclusion:

Don't listen to idiots on the internet saying:

"try this, try that"

^^^ best way to: waste lot's of time, run lot's of risk, and finally damage your computer real good ^^^

You see I am not wet behind my ears when it comes to internet folks ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck The Destroyer