Computer flash ROM.

I'm used to "hot swapping" for reprogramming lost BIOS on computer mainboards.

(For those who are not familliar with it: you start a working board with its own BIOS and swap the flash ROM for the one you need to program.)

I have one with a 4Mb flash i would like to re-write using this method but all the working boards i have only have 2Mb flash... so the question is: If i pop the 4Mb in, will i be able to write the whole 4Mb or will i be stuck half way ?

Reply to
sds

Just forgot to say they are both PLCC cases.

Reply to
sds

It worked when I tried it many years ago. Check that the chips have the same pinout though.

-A

"Bother" said Pooh, as the laser vaporised his remaining eye...

Reply to
testing_h

Pin 1 is #Reset on the 29f002 and A18 on the 29f004 so i don't see how it can be done on a board that is made for 29f002.

Reply to
sds

there were certain MoBo around that could use both types of chips; there is a need to search for specs of the existing MoBo on the Net, if it supports eventually also a 4Mb chip ...

--
                         Regards ,  SPAJKY ®
   mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com