XUP Virtex-II Pro "invalid target architecture"

I just installed and updated both the EDK and ISE 7.1 I'm using the XUP Virtex-II Pro, and downloaded the accompanying BSB package.

When I generate a design using BSB (selecting the XUP as a design platform of course) I notice two things:

A second DDR memory is added to the peripheral list, altough I have no idea where it comes from and what it does (it's called DDR-DRAM). However, the biggest problem is that I cannot start the bitstream generation, it quits immediatly with:

ERROR:MDT - Invalid target architecture 'xc2vp30ff896-7' ERROR:MDT - Invalid target architecture '' ERROR:MDT - platgen failed with errors! make: *** [implementation/system.bmm] Error 2 Done.

How can I fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
zoinks

What do you mean by the peripheral list?

That's what the target architecture should be.

Never run across either of these--can you post the *.mhs and *.xmp files?

Paul

" snipped-for-privacy@mytrashmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Hartke

Installed any service packs yet ?

7.1 was unuseable for me without service packs for exactly the same setup.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

I installed the EDK and ISE service packs. I still get the same error, even after re-creating the system from scratch

to use the XUP board I simply d/l-ed and copied the XUPv2P pack to a dir and specified that during the BSB. Did I forget to do something?

With the peripheral list I mean the list that is shown at the end of the BSB. In particular the drop-down list you see when you are to select in which memory peripheral the test-software should be loaded.

All the weird behaviour only occurs when I choose to use external DDR memory.

I'll post the project when I have access to it.

Reply to
zoinks

ok I think I know what is wrong:

Something went wrong during the installation of the ISE or the SDK. In my list of available devices, only some spartans and the Virtex2 and Virtex4 are listed. When I select one of the virtex, the program gives an error message that it cannot find the specified device size.

Is there a way to add those devices to the system?

Reply to
zoinks

Probably the easiest thing to do is uninstall and reinstall both ISE and EDK.

Nothing is likely to work if the underlying install is suspect.

Paul

" snipped-for-privacy@mytrashmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Hartke

Sounds like you may have missed a cd ?

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Yes it's weird. I had three CD's: two of them said CD 1, and one said CD 2. The "second" CD1 was said to be the "international" version. However, it gave "missing file" errors when it started to install a certain part (can't remember what), but as far as I could see it was installing exactly the same things that the "other" CD1 already installed.

So I only installed from the first CD1 and CD2. I'll try to reinstall when I have time. For the moment I gave up on 7.1 and I'm still working with the 6.3 version.

Stupid that I didn't realize this before....ugh....got a lot on my mind lately :)

Anyone else had this problem too? (Or at least could give me some info about those weird two CD1's)

I would appreciate it.

Reply to
zoinks

That's really weird--I cannot remember the last time I installed and don't have the CDs anywhere around.

In all this, don't forget that the XUPV2P EDK support files "requires EDK v7.1 with SP2 and ISE v7.1 with SP3."

Good Luck! Paul

" snipped-for-privacy@mytrashmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Hartke

Thanks, yes I installed the EDK and all the servicepacks. They didn't give me any trouble, luckely:)

Reply to
zoinks