Xilinx "Programming failed" message

Hello,

I have been using Web ISE for over a year to program Xilinx CPLDs XC9572XL

Everything was working fine for hundreds of units until my computer crashed and I had to resinstall ISE. I now get a "Programming failed" error. Everything else seems to work as far as communicating with the chip using the parallel cable. Impact detects the chip, I can query the ID compute the checksum (zero) and erase it fine.

But I get the "Programming failed error" when I try to program chips. I tried a number of brand new CPLDs. Is there a way to get more specific error messages. At this point there are many variables since I had to resintall Windows XP and ISE.

I tried these versions of web ISE: 5.1, 5.2 and 6.1.

The version I had working before I crashed was probably 5.2 since I downloaded mid june 2003.

Is it possible for the cable to only fail during program and everything else works? Any specifie signals I need to check?

I recreated the .jed file with ISE 6.1 to make sure is wasn't corrupted.

Any help appreciated.

Thank You

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Robin

You didn't change the computer, did you? Some motherboard parallel port chips do not work well AT ALL with the parallel cable III. I have clearly demonstrated it is the motherboard, as I can swap out the computer, using all the other hardware exactly as it was, and get a perfect programming every time. I think it is MB's with the UMC parallel port chip that have the problem.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The problem I had had absolutely nothing to do with service packs. It was entirely caused by either voltage levels or timing differences between different parallel port chips in the motherboards. I have found motherboards that work fine in these applications, and I will just hang on to them until they die.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson