Xilinx JTAG download under Linux (urgent)

Hi All, Has anyone had any success using a Parallel Cable III (PC3) under Linux to program a Xilinx FPGA using JTAG?

I know that Impact (from ise 6.1) does not support the cable (Which is totally absurd). But is there some other software that I can use?

Unfortunately I'm in a real hurry to get this sorted, so can't wait for ISE 6.2 which is supposed to support the PC3.

Many many thanks Andy

--
Andrew Greensted            Department of Electronics
Bio-Inspired Engineering    University of York, UK

I have never tried these programs, but I think it a good start. Perhaps someone else here comes up with a better solution.

HTH & HAND, Steff

Reply to
Stefan Frank

Reply to
Andrew Greensted

Andrew Greensted wrote: : Yes, I've seen this, unfortunately it doesn't use the JTAG chain for : programming. It uses Slave Serial instead.

Have a look at

and at Rudolf Usselman tool

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

What's your basis for saying that? Impact from 6.1 has check boxes for PC-III as well as IV. We've used it sucessfully for programming both a flash part and Spartan2 parts, then it suddenly stopped working on the Spartan2. Went from totally reliable to never works. We just ordered a PC-IV because of the chronic problems we've had with the -III. Maybe you need a new cable worse than you need new software.

Dave Kinsell

Reply to
David Kinsell

: > I know that Impact (from ise 6.1) does not support the cable (Which is : > totally absurd). But is there some other software that I can use?

: What's your basis for saying that? Impact from 6.1 has check boxes for PC-III : as well as IV. We've used it sucessfully for programming both a flash part and : Spartan2 parts, then it suddenly stopped working on the Spartan2. Went from : totally reliable to never works. We just ordered a PC-IV because of the chronic : problems we've had with the -III. Maybe you need a new cable worse than you : need new software.

Dave,

you missed the title!

We are talking about JTAG download under Linux.

Or do you succeed in running ISE6.1 on Linux and download with the JTAG cable?

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Thanks for the help. Just to get things going, I've (grumblingly) gone for the windows approach. Tech Support at Xilinx basically said this was the only option available until ISE6.2. Lets hope that's soon.

For those who want to know, the links from Uwe that might help were:

Can do svf playing

Writes bit streams directly, but needs a little hacking if you've got a complex JTAG chain.

Andy

Andrew Greensted wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Greensted

Andrew Greensted wrote: : Thanks for the help. : Just to get things going, I've (grumblingly) gone for the windows : approach. Tech Support at Xilinx basically said this was the only option : available until ISE6.2. Lets hope that's soon.

: For those who want to know, the links from Uwe that might help were:

:

: Can do svf playing

:

: Writes bit streams directly, but needs a little hacking if you've got a : complex JTAG chain.

I think Rudolf will be glad to hear those tricks needed.

Bye