VHDL: Different direction buses

Hi all,

It might be an obvious question but I have a doubt when assigning two buses that are defined with opposite direction.

Here you are an example;

architecture behavioral of buses is signal bus_a: std_logic_vector (0 to 7); signal bus_b: std_logic_vector (7 downto 0); ... begin

-- this doesn't work bus_b

Reply to
arkaitz

two buses

What do you meant "it doesn't work?". It works fine! In VHDL vectors are assigned left to right, *regardless of how they are declared*. So that code says

bus_b(7) bus_b (i) end loop;

Again, what do you mean "it doesn't work"?

bus_a'range gives you "0 to 7", so the loop results in

bus_b(0) process (bus_a)

I believe your first two examples "work", and the last example doesn't because of the indexing error.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

kind regards

Alan

--
Alan Fitch
Consultant

Upppsss,

I'm sorry. The second example is wrong,

Reply to
arkaitz

Thanks Alan for the help.

The thing is that I have been looking for it in a manual that mentions that isn't possible to assign different direction buses in one instruction.

I've tried and it works, so thanks again.

Best regards,

Arkaitz.

Reply to
arkaitz