Synopsys Designware IP... can be used for Xilinx FPGA??

Hi,

i was wondering about this... my workplace have bought a few Synopsys Designwares.. such as Filters, AMBA peripeherals IP... and i was told that they want to use this IP's in FPGA.... Xilinx. can this work??

I was told that when they generated the designware modules, they set it to use Xilinx FPGA (say Virtex2) as target.... this will generate modules based on Xilinx FPGA primitives. This module can be inserted in ISE and downloaded into the FPGA...

however.. i was wondering.. is this the right way of doing it?? or is this ok??will this modules work correctly? the plan is to connect this synopsys designware ip's with some other ips.. on FPGA to make a complete system... will any issue with regards to the synopsys designware arises?? i am wondering because that i was told the synopsys designware is design for ASIC development and not FPGA...

i hope someone can enlighten me about this...

thanks in advance for you help :)

cheers

cromr

Reply to
cromr

Check out Synplicity's Synplify Proto.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

If the modules are encrypted ... which synopsys likes to do for its designware IP ... you will have to use a synopsys synthesis product such as fpga compiler.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lewis

I thought the deal with Proto was that it provides its own version of lots of designware modules... Maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Hi Mike,

Thanks for answering... i'm aware of the IP encryption..... they will just give module definations... all others are encrypted...

but since the designware utility that i have here can generate modules based on FPGA.. example Xilinx, maybe it come with an FPGA Compiler... first time using it actually....

some of my colleague have generated the IPs targetting it for Xilinx... and i think even manage to download it into the FPGA.... however it still did not work right... so this is the reason that i am wondering if there are other issues when using Synopsys Designware IPs in FPGA...

so maybe the reason for the IPs inproper operation is because they misconnect some signals or something...or didn't make proper settings... and not the IP itself... can i assume this?? i just want to eliminate the many causes for this failure so i can devote more attention on the right fault...

so my ultimate goal is to confirm that Synopsys Designware IPs can work with FPGA (Xilinx, etc) if using FPGA Compiler without any issue on the IP itself... is this an accurate deduction?

really hope you, Mike or anyone who have experience in this area can advice me..

thanks so much in advance

Best Regards, cromr

Reply to
cromr