Question about programming a FPGA using Modelsim Designer instead of ISE?? can it be done?

HI All,

I am confused. I have the free version of ISE 9.1

From what I understand, the free version limits me to the low end

FPGAs that I can download my designs onto. If I wanted to use higher end FPGAs, then I would have to buy Xilinx ISE full version.

Is Xilinx ISE the only tool I can use to program my FPGA (eg. Virtex 5 LX330) ? Same with Alter's FGPA, Quartus? Do you have to use vender specific tools to program that specific FPGA?

Will Mentor's Graphics Modelsim Designer, also a FPGA software tool, be able to program my design onto any FPGAs? From what I understand, no. It only does simulation, synthesis, and place and route. I still have to implement the design (constraints) and program the FPGA (iMPACT). Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks,

-Tony

Reply to
tony.uniquify

"[..]

Is Xilinx ISE the only tool I can use to program my FPGA (eg. Virtex 5 LX330) ? Same with Alter's FGPA, Quartus?"

They are the only free synthesis tools which can be used to program those FPGAs, but if you have many thousands of dollars you can buy another synthesis tool to program them, e.g. from Synopsys and Synplicity.

"Do you have to use vender specific tools to program that specific FPGA?"

No.

"Will Mentor's Graphics Modelsim Designer, also a FPGA software tool, be able to program my design onto any FPGAs? From what I understand, no. It only does simulation, synthesis, and place and route. I still have to implement the design (constraints) and program the FPGA (iMPACT). Please correct me if I am mistaken."

Modelsim is only for simulations.

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

"Program" is not very specific. If you want to use an FPGA, you need several tools:

  1. An editor to write your HDL code in. You could use Xemacs, Eclipse, Notepad++, jedit,... or the editor included in ModelSim.
  2. A simulator to test your Verilog/VHDL code. This could be ModelSim, but there are alternative.
  3. A synthesis tool that translates your VHDL code into a netlist. I.e. out of "counter
Reply to
Sean Durkin

Thank you Sean and Colin, I have a better understanding now.

Actually, I was told that ModelSim Designer (not modelsim LE, PE, SE) is suppose to have steps 1-5 (above), but according to their website, it is all the same.

"ModelSim Designer only seems supports easy interface with synthesis and place and route tools."

It seems like I still have to buy my steps 3-5 elsewhere. Correct?

Thanks again.

-Tony

Reply to
tony.uniquify

Yes. Judging from the site you posted, ModelSim Designer is simply ModelSim with a few code developing tools, e.g. something to make creating state machines and so on easier. But there are no FPGA tools included. It just offers the possibility to control the tools via its GUI. So you can write your code, simulate it, and start synthesis all from the ModelSim Designer GUI, that's all.

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...